The bug out bag

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

Re: The bug out bag

#21 Post by Demonic69 »

In theory a kindle should barely be affected by an EMP, e-ink display and flash memory. Not sure how it would work in reality though.
BamBam

#22 Post by BamBam »

Putting it in a Faraday cage is the only way to be sure.
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#23 Post by Demonic69 »

Could design a faraday case for it :-)
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#24 Post by safetyfirst »

Loving this thread. ;)
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#25 Post by bradaz11 »

Demonic69 wrote:Could design a faraday case for it :-)
keep it in a car?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#26 Post by Airbrush »

Gunslinger 2 for me, rifle in the scabbard, plenty of supplies inside & you can carry another rifle in patrol stylee. :good:
Sim G
Past Supporter

#27 Post by Sim G »

Faraday bags are not all they're cracked up to be....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#28 Post by DaveB »

I keep one in the car at all times (we get earthquakes here - I am not a 'doomsday prepper').

Mine contains 3 litre water bladder; GPS & spare batteries; folding stove and hexamine tabs; large stainless steel cup; Mountain House meals (2); lifeboat rations for a week; spare socks; small towel; bivvy bag; 2 x emergency blankets; strobe, torch & spare LiIon batteries (work in the strobe too); first aid kit; 30 m of 550 cord, a few tent stakes; small folding shovel; lifeboat matches and tinder; whistle; SOG Seal Pup knife; large Leatherman multi-tool; and an SOG tomahawk.

If it were legal here, it would also include a .22 RF survival rifle (like an AR7 or similar) and some ammo. Unfortunately it isn't legal.
Swamphog
Home club or Range: Stafford PO PRC

#29 Post by Swamphog »

safetyfirst wrote: I'm collating lists from various places, trying to find those "aha" items you'd always forget.
There's one item nobody's mentioned so far; I'd certainly be up the creek without a paddle without my GLASSES! Even an old spare pair would be more valuable to me than gold. It also strikes me that, even if you have good distance vision, some of us who are . . . not in the first flush of youth? . . . would be stuck without a pair of reading glasses, if they had to do a finicky bit of gun-smithing, first aid, or even checking the use-by date on a packet of food.

Other vitals nobody's mentioned would be a nitrite spray if you're at risk of angina, or have heart problems, and a puffer if you or anyone in your family suffers from asthma.

Two other things always with me; a sturdy (street legal) pocket knife with a carbon steel blade, and a small LED torch the size and shape of a small egg, which is on my key-ring.

Interesting topic, SF, and well worth pooling ideas!

Jack
"An engineer is someone who can make for five bob what any fool can make for five quid - make it work reliably, and make it at a profit."
(Anon.)
Smart bloke, that Mr Anon.
DL.

#30 Post by DL. »

Swamphog wrote:There's one item nobody's mentioned so far; I'd certainly be up the creek without a paddle without my GLASSES! Even an old spare pair would be more valuable to me than gold.
Also for those people who have their glasses on a string round their neck to avoid loosing them between the livingroom and the kettle - this could almost double as para-cord for one of those cord emergencies - like tying the shed door shut on the allotment on a windy day to keep the hoards of food raiders out.