Satellite Communicators

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Christel
Site Admin

Satellite Communicators

#1 Post by Christel »

We are thinking of getting a satellite communicator.

Loads on the market, I prefer it to be a Garmin.

Just wondering if any of you have one and what you think of it?
Polchraine

Re: Satellite Communicators

#2 Post by Polchraine »

What capability do you actually want? Voice, data, text/sms?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

Polchraine wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:55 pm What capability do you actually want? Voice, data, text/sms?
Obviously the SOS feature is very important 😀

Text.

Have looked at these two...

Inreach
Montana, can also run maps.
Polchraine

#4 Post by Polchraine »

Those are both a little below the systems I have played with - $500,000 dowm to around $4,000.

My thoughts - both use the Iridium constellation which has been around for well over 20 years and offers near full polar coverage. You need to look at the very detailed specs - how long will it last on standby, how long will it last powered OFF. How easily are they charged - 12v, USB, mains adapter. Time to acquire a satellite and are they orientation sensitive. What is the cold weather performance like. Do they have a "press once for SOS" capability using the latest GPS data and does it keep a battery reserve for that. Are they physical keypads or touch screens and what about use in cold weather.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Christel
Site Admin

#5 Post by Christel »

That is a lot to consider, thanks for that, better start comparing.
lillico

#6 Post by lillico »

I use this.
https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/623975
Only text, but it's a Navigation device as well.
Good battery life.
Clunky movement around the menus and maps.
Total waste of money, until you break your femur in the Scottish hills with no mobile signal.
Don't forget to add in a satellite subscription which is reasonable for the basic version.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Lillico, I use the 65S, so no Comms. If yours is like mine, navigation is awful. In fact I tend to get more out of my Fenix 6 when walking and sailing. Not ideal on a motorbike though.

The communicator will be for me. I plan on heading out of Denmark to Göteborg, up through Sweden, into Norway then Finland, and finally home (Denmark) in 2025. I will be following the Trans European Trail so backroads and off road on a motorbike and was thinking of an Inreach 2 so Christel knows where I am.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Polchraine

#8 Post by Polchraine »

Ovenpaa wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:35 am ...... so Christel knows where I am.
Or which bar you are in!

Will you be timing the North Cape for mid-summer? And then look North to see the sun! I was once there in January and it was cold!

- Abraham Lincoln

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Bars in Norway, doubtful. I spent a lot of time in bars in Oslo in the past, always with someone higher up the food chain. I doubt it has got any cheaper.

I will head into Finland. I have not been before before, and the Finns I have met in the past have always been odd, in an OK way.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Polchraine

#10 Post by Polchraine »

I believe that there are a few local bars further north!

I know what you mean about Finns - different and interesting would be a way to describe them. Never had problems with any of them in Norway, Sweden or Finland. In Finland I was even recommended a restaurant that served a local delicacy - Bear. And in one hamlet in Norway - they proudly showed me pictures of the destruction caused by RAF bombs, which everyone at the time was totally happy with as it helped drive the Germans out.

- Abraham Lincoln