Intelligence

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Explosive
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan

Re: Intelligence

#91 Post by Explosive »

toffe wrapper wrote:1 pallet = 20 ? monster boxes of 500 = 10,000 ounces

5 pallets = 50,000 ounces

50,000 ounces X 9 ( cost price ) = $450,000

That's a unique way of storing silver. I have never seen a monster box. 50000 OZT is over 1500kg, what size bar was it in
Who was the producer, credit Suisse, Engelhard etc.

A monster box is what Kitco call a bulk box of 500 1 ounce silver Canadian Mint maple leaf coins. They actually come in plastic tubes which are packed in cardboard box. They boxes are not very big, just heavy. You would easily get 20 boxes on an average palette :)
Explosive
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan

#92 Post by Explosive »

I bought 2 monster boxes of coins and took them to Sweden as hand luggage with another person. It was no fun, I will not be doing it again.
DL.

#93 Post by DL. »

Your interest is clearly in buying silver as an asset of last resort, and holding it in coins for easy exchange/barter.

If people were interested in investing in bullion, the overhead costs of minting coins would be considered an unnecessary outlay.

Here's a nice picture of what I'm guessing are 15kg silver bullion bars in Poland -

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/new ... /467417424

That's what most investors want, clinical access to something that will return them a profit, not something with a maple leaf/eagle/panda/woman wearing a tea cosy on it!

Also moving onto gold, I think an issue with using it as an asset to exchange for things has become more complicated as the price has risen. Years ago, I wondered what the point was in getting 1/4 and 1/10th troy ounce gold coins, but now I see why, they are easily exchangeable without having something worth a small fortune in one coin. Lucky that sovereigns are common place here.
bigfathairybiker

#94 Post by bigfathairybiker »

I would have thought that any emergency bug out saving of gold, silver or any other currency would be worthless as the only thing anyone would want would be food or shelter. Or have I got the wrong idea?

Mark
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#95 Post by snayperskaya »

bigfathairybiker wrote:I would have thought that any emergency big out saving of gold, silver or any other currency would be worthless as the only thing anyone would want would be food or shelter. Or have I got the wrong idea?

Mark
I think the only people that think gold will be worth having in a complete EOTWAWKI scenario are the people that have stockpiled gold and the brokers that sell it to those people.If it was a complete breakdown of society a la Mad Max style if someone has food and gold and you've got a shotgun it doesn't take a genius to see how that'll go.......hello bread and gold!!! bangbang :D
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
DL.

#96 Post by DL. »

bigfathairybiker wrote:I would have thought that any emergency big out saving of gold, silver or any other currency would be worthless as the only thing anyone would want would be food or shelter. Or have I got the wrong idea?

Mark
I think you're absolutely right in an TEOTWAWKI scenario, however, as has been suggested earlier in the thread, some on here who know more about finance than I will ever know are saying that there will be a catastrophic worldwide financial downturn that will render some paper based currencies such as the Euro practically worthless. Cue long lines outside shops with bagfulls of devalued currency to buy a loaf of bread etc etc.

I'm sitting on the fence, but would very much like it if the British people developed the courage to vote themselves out of the EU, but due to the fear campaigns I can't see it happening.

Edit, Sniperskaya was typing at the same time as I was, but we're saying the same thing.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#97 Post by snayperskaya »

I can see its worth in the event of currency collapse or the build-up to SHTF, thats obvious as stated earlier, and once society comes out the other side (if it does) it would be worth having but during I can see antibiotics/medication etc having more worth........what price would you put on Insulin for example?.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

DL.

#98 Post by DL. »

snayperskaya wrote:I can see antibiotics/medication etc having more worth........what price would you put on Insulin for example?.
Very good point, and one of the reasons I put the idea out there about int.

There's not an awful lot of point in prepping if people haven't considered the bigger picture. One element of this would be threat levels.

Who are you likely to be dealing with?

What numbers?

Level of discipline/training?

What is their moral like?

If met with resistance would they just go away and look for a softer target?

What are the main routes for transport near your location and are these likely to be regularly used?

As for essential medicines, I don't have any awareness as to how dependant people would be able to resupply in these situations.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#99 Post by HALODIN »

In a zombie apocalypse or a war zone, loo roll, chocolate, cigarettes, alcohol, antibiotics and food are immediately more important, but I don't think anyone expects that in the UK. Touch wood... but it should just be a financial crisis that resembles the 70's on steroids. Expect lots of people to lose lots of money, bankers throwing themselves out of windows, supply problems and probably riots in cities over the next few years.

We should have let the banks go to the wall in 2008, it would be all over by now.
snayperskaya wrote:I can see its worth in the event of currency collapse or the build-up to SHTF, thats obvious as stated earlier, and once society comes out the other side (if it does) it would be worth having but during I can see antibiotics/medication etc having more worth........what price would you put on Insulin for example?.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#100 Post by snayperskaya »

There isn't going to be a zombie apocalypse......ever.

The giant spiders will eat the zombies first!

Seriously though, if you'd said a "religion of peace-alypse" I'd agree with you.