At what point do you batten down the hatches?

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

Re: At what point do you batten down the hatches?

#61 Post by TRG-22 »

BamBam wrote:It's a rubbish designer virus if we're all still here.
Depends on why it was done. The aim might not be to kill off vast swathes of the population (unless Gaia is the perpetrator :twisted: ).

It only has a R-0 of 4 at best. Weaponised smallpox or measles with a R-0 of between 12 and 18 is what you want.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/databl ... s-diseases

The flu of 1918 had an R0 of 3-6, an a mortality rate of around 5%, and killed tens of millions.
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#62 Post by snayperskaya »

TRG-22 wrote:
BamBam wrote:It's a rubbish designer virus if we're all still here.
Depends on why it was done. The aim might not be to kill off vast swathes of the population (unless Gaia is the perpetrator :twisted: ).

It only has a R-0 of 4 at best. Weaponised smallpox or measles with a R-0 of between 12 and 18 is what you want.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/databl ... s-diseases

The flu of 1918 had an R0 of 3-6, an a mortality rate of around 5%, and killed tens of millions.

The 1918 Spanish flu death toll is estimated to have been anywhere from 17 million to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#63 Post by meles meles »

We keep a good stock of cough lozenges down in the sett, just in case...

And plenty of bullets too.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Gazza

#64 Post by Gazza »

s***! Forgot the coff sweets.....back in 30 mins.
Bovril
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Phoenix range, Barnsley

#65 Post by Bovril »

102 year old mortality rates are less than irrelevant when discussing modern epidemics.
RDC

#66 Post by RDC »

snayperskaya wrote: I wonder if this panic buying is a generational thing, with us folks over a certain age just getting on with it as usual whilst the younger generations are panicking........
It's not younger people I am seeing and hearing doing the panic buying round here.
DL.

#67 Post by DL. »

Gazza wrote:s***! Forgot the coff sweets.....back in 30 mins.
Don't forget at least a dozen eggs.

You wouldn't want to be behind the curve.
BamBam

#68 Post by BamBam »

I was in Aldi the other day and the people with the massive trollies full of disaster supplies were all older than me, the couple in front of me in the queue had a very organised shopping list on a tablet. Toilet rolls, batteries, bleach, wipes, tinned tomatoes etc. I had 2 packs of muffins and some frikkadels, normally people let you go in front of them if you only have a few items, not that day.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#69 Post by Dark Skies »

BamBam wrote:... normally people let you go in front of them if you only have a few items, not that day.
Really? In my town people have 'raced' in front / pushed ahead of me with their stacked high trolley whilst I've only had a baguette and a carton of milk in NORMAL times. You must live somewhere quaint where people make eye contact and say good morning to their neighbours.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

#70 Post by andy1979 »

Dark Skies wrote:
BamBam wrote:... normally people let you go in front of them if you only have a few items, not that day.
Really? In my town people have 'raced' in front / pushed ahead of me with their stacked high trolley whilst I've only had a baguette and a carton of milk in NORMAL times. You must live somewhere quaint where people make eye contact and say good morning to their neighbours.
Obviously somewhere outside the M25 where some limited manners still exist lol

In all seriousness it's crazy out there people are just buying masses of everything!

I went to Tesco last night to grab a couple of things for work and the bog roll isle was empty as well as the pasta isle.
it generally looked like a plague of locusts had passed through there.

I've been told to work from home from Monday for the foreseeable future and my Engineers cannot come into contact with the opposite shift they have to hand over from their cars in the car park and also sanitize the office when they leave shift and when they come on shift i work for crazy paranoid Americans kukkuk

Crazy times.