Newbie Q

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Hunterboy

Newbie Q

#1 Post by Hunterboy »

Hi everyone, I've just joined the forum, and had a look at the search function but couldn't find the answer to this .....
I'm looking to join a club and learn to shoot, preferably in the Heathrow area. I'm hoping to do this as something to do along with my father who also has an interest. He lives in Cardiff. Would it be possible for me to join 2 clubs while I'm learning and on probation? I'd mainly shoot initially around the LHR area and then go along with my dad to his club at weekends back in Cardiff.
Assuming we both obtain a FAC, would it be possible to store both of our rifles at his place in Cardiff? Would it be easier to both apply for our FAC from the same authority? Can I join a club in a different area to where I apply for the FAC?
If I did get something full bore, I'd be looking to fire it at Bisley in all likelihood or on an MOD range. Would it be feasible to store a larger calibre rifle at Bisley, say, as I'd probably use it more around the south East, rather than trek over to Cardiff every time?
I guess, what I'm asking is how easy would it be to share a couple of rifles with my father, so we could share costs and try to minimise them?
Many thanks ...Hunterboy
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: Newbie Q

#2 Post by WelshShooter »

Welcome to the forum.

It's not a problem to join multiple clubs, but you will have to go through their respective probationary periods. When applying for an FAC make sure you make reference to both clubs as this let's them know which clubs you intend to shoot said firearms at.

It is possible to have shared ownership of firearms, such that multiple people within a household can have access to a single firearm assuming all parties have the firearms entered on their FAC. Good question on whether South Wales Police or London Police force being the correct police force to use. It's also possible to keep firearms at a separate address to you living address, as this scenario is asked an the application form.

My advice would be to speak with both the South Wales Police force (check with your father, but I suspect that Cardiff is under the Bridgend Firearms licencing jurisdiction) and your local police force in London as they can give you more appropriate advice on guidance.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

The licensing force that covers where the owner of the gun resides is the appropriate authority, it doesn't matter where you'll be shooting the gun. If your father wants to use the same gun and lives in Cardiff he would have to apply to whichever force covers him and you apply to whichever force covers you.
DVC
Hunterboy

#4 Post by Hunterboy »

Many thanks for the quick replies....