FAC , which rifles on first application advice please

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Molski
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre

Re: FAC , which rifles on first application advice please

#21 Post by Molski »

Gazza wrote:West Yorks are funny, or used to be, about how many guns you ask for on initial grant.
I put 9 guns on my first application and they were soon on the phone :D
They asked why I need so many, justifiable answer, target shooting.
They were still a bit shaky so I said drop the two pistols but none of the rifles and all was OK :good:
Who did you speak to at the club, Martin?
No not Martin, one of the range officers I believe.
Geek wrote:Whatever cabinet size you are thinking of buying, get the next size up at least. This will allow space for the one for one variations.

Once you have scoped rifles it will significantly reduce the number of rifles that will fit. Also, consider a separate ammunition safe. I have 1x10 gun, 1x6 gun and a breakdown shotgun safe as an ammunition safe (one of the safes also has an integral ammunition safe).
Yes i have been looking at gun cabinets and will be going for something like an 8/9 extra deep one and a separate ammo safe, it seems some of the manufacturers claims regarding how many guns fit in a certain size cabinet are a bit over ambitious, I can’t honestly see how you could fit five scoped rifles into a 35 cm wide space.
Thanks again for all the help and advice.
Steve
Rockhopper

#22 Post by Rockhopper »

Scoped rifles takes up far more cabinet space than shotguns or unscoped rifles. If you invest in those gun socks for everything then you can cram loads more in as they won't get scuffed against each other.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#23 Post by Andy632 »

Try a Vanvault Outback
https://www.totalsafes.co.uk/product/ne ... gLZGvD_BwE

I fitted an extra central lock to mine and plod are happy with it. More solid (& cheaper) than equivalent "Gun Safes".
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#24 Post by Pippin89 »

Andy632 wrote:Try a Vanvault Outback

I fitted an extra central lock to mine and plod are happy with it. More solid (& cheaper) than equivalent "Gun Safes".
This looks like a great idea for the back of the car when transporting firearms. I would paint it black though so it doesn't draw any attention.
joeuk
Home club or Range: Yorkshire shooting centre

#25 Post by joeuk »

I went with .22lr , 17hmr 223 this will be my main rifle, 243, all these with mods , don't write bolt or semi. Then I like to shot with iron sights so went with the classic 303
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#26 Post by Andy632 »

Pippin89 wrote:

This looks like a great idea for the back of the car when transporting firearms. I would paint it black though so it doesn't draw any attention.
I've only got a Rav 4, it will hardly fit inside it! ;)
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Pippin89

#27 Post by Pippin89 »

Andy632 wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:

I've only got a Rav 4, it will hardly fit inside it! ;)
I've got an RS6, plenty of room!! ;)

I am actually going to build a small lockable gun store in the back for transport. Just for peace of mind if I stop for petrol or something... And with an RS6 I do a hell of a lot of that!!!
Rockhopper

#28 Post by Rockhopper »

I still think you need to take bolts/forends with you if you leave the car, even whilst walking to the shop to pay for your petrol.
Pippin89

#29 Post by Pippin89 »

Rockhopper wrote:I still think you need to take bolts/forends with you if you leave the car, even whilst walking to the shop to pay for your petrol.
Yes agree completely. That would be my plan of action. In fact my fag packet sketch of what I want to build has a separate small lock box for bolts. That way I can quickly open it and take them out when I leave the car without having to pull out a rifle in a petrol station and start disassembling it! lol