Insurance - home & vehicle

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

lovemunkey187
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts & Phoenix Range

Insurance - home & vehicle

#1 Post by lovemunkey187 »

Hello all,

I did use the search function, but the newest thread that came up, was from around 6 years ago and others from even longer ago.

As a rule of thumb are most home insurers still insuring guns as sporting equipment?

Do I need to mention to my car insurer that I will be transporting firearms and ammunition? or is that none of their business?
Hey, dawg. Didya see the size of that chicken?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Insurance - home & vehicle

#2 Post by dromia »

On who is insuring you will need to shop around as things have been getting harder with underwriters who are chronically risk averse and anything other than "normal" gets the thumbs down.

You will only need to notify your car insurer if you are transporting illegal firearms and ammunition.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
lovemunkey187
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts & Phoenix Range

#3 Post by lovemunkey187 »

Thank you.
Hey, dawg. Didya see the size of that chicken?
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#4 Post by FredB »

Membership of the NRA includes insurance for your guns.
Fred
Polchraine

#5 Post by Polchraine »

I have just renewed my house insurance . MORE THAN do not exclude guns and with Nat West they can be specifically listed. With More Than, none of mine break te single item "all risks" level so are not listed howerver when I mentioned my wife's jewellry is kept in a "gun safe" it did not raise any eyebrows.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

I haven't had any issues with home insurance and listing the couple of guns that exceed the maximum single item limit. As for car insurance most have a pretty meagre 'contents' amount (only a few £££ on on all the policies i've ever had), so if you were wanting them covered on that i'd guess you'd have to pay significantly more. Probably better to just get a 'home and away' clause/payment on your home insurance.
DVC
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#7 Post by Pippin89 »

My contents insurance was cancelled a couple of years ago when I listed one of my guns on the single item value thing. Can't remember the name of the company but it was a recommended policy by my letting agent. It would be worth asking the question. It's not worth trying to cover them on your car insurance. As Blackstuff said, just make sure your home insurance covers "away from home".
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

I haven't listed any of my guns. I have a More Than policy. I figured should the day come when I have to make a claim then my NRA policy will cover them if the house policy doesn't.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by IainWR »

The NRA individual insurance has a £10k overall limit on equipment. If you have a few rifles, a decent scope and a few accessories, it's easy to find yourself at that limit.
DL.

#10 Post by DL. »

I'm struggling to get onside with morethan because their premium is 4 x the cheapest alternative.

I know the theory of buying cheap, but with insurances that I never use, it seems foolish to pay more than absolutely necessary.