Cabinets - sanity check, please

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

FencepostError

Cabinets - sanity check, please

#1 Post by FencepostError »

I think I know what I'm doing regarding cabinets now, but before spending the money I thought I'd run it by you all here just to see if I'm doing anything stupid.

My plan is to buy this for the firearms: http://www.safes-shop.co.uk/gun-cabinet ... -9-gunsafe (and possibly also store section 2 ammunition or other things on the shelf)

and this for section 1 ammunition: http://www.safes-shop.co.uk/gun-cabinets/2-4-guns/gb1 (because it fits into the space I have where a shorter, wider ammunition cabinet won't, and because I think it should give me more capacity than a top-lock or small safe).

The two cabinets would be positioned next to each other in a discreet upstairs location. They'll be next to a supporting wall (with the floor-boards running parallel to the wall, and so presumably with the joists perpendicular and therefore supported by the wall) and bolted in to the block wall behind them. The firearms cabinet should give me some room for growth (I was originally looking at an 11 gun cabinet, but that would be at best a very tight fit even with the skinniest shotgun cabinet I could find - for ammunition - next to it).

Is there anything obviously stupid about this? :-)

I haven't done a thorough price-check yet but the site I link seems decent on price (accounting for delivery). Any opinions on the company?

Thanks in advance...
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Cabinets - sanity check, please

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

One thing I will suggest is the 8/9 gun cabinet probably refers to 8/9 shotguns, not scoped rifles.My cabinet is supposedly a 9 gun but my six rifles are quite snug with no real room left.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Make sure the cabinet is deep enough to accept 'scoped rifles if you are going to own any, One of our cabinets is a BS 9 gun deep tall cabinet and at best it will hold 5 'scoped rifles safely.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
FencepostError

#4 Post by FencepostError »

Well, so far I'm looking at:

.38/.357 lever action (no scope)
M&P15-22 (with a red dot?)
.303 Enfield (no scope)
Pump-action shotgun (thinking Mossberg)
Bora 99 (possibly)
.22 bolt action, scoped
Probably a modern scoped centre-fire rifle (at some point)
A section 2 shotgun or two (at some point).
Perhaps, at some point, a muzzle-loading revolver and/or LBR and/or LBP (thinking a muzzle-loader would go on the shelf, and a LBR or LBP could be hung from the shelf)

So a fair amount of stuff but a lot is smaller and non-scoped. Does that look practical for the cabinet?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

FencepostError wrote: So a fair amount of stuff but a lot is smaller and non-scoped. Does that look practical for the cabinet?
Nope :grin:

Yes they will probably fit albeit in a haphazard way however it is no way to store firearms.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
FencepostError

#6 Post by FencepostError »

ovenpaa wrote:
FencepostError wrote: So a fair amount of stuff but a lot is smaller and non-scoped. Does that look practical for the cabinet?
Nope :grin:

Yes they will probably fit albeit in a haphazard way however it is no way to store firearms.
Bugger, I thought I'd decided :)

My first idea was to go with http://www.westlander.co.uk/acatalog/11 ... shelf.html. The problem there is that with the thinnest shotgun cabinet I could find (for ammo) next to it, it only gives me 3mm of clearance, and I don't trust my measurements and theirs enough to be confident they'd actually fit. Or, I suppose, I could go for the top-lock version: http://www.westlander.co.uk/acatalog/11 ... binet.html, but them I'm wondering if that'll be enough space for ammunition. (I could perhaps have an extra cabinet somewhere else in the house, but it's not my house and I don't want to impose too much...)

*sigh*
Dave 101

#7 Post by Dave 101 »

A couple of things to think of before fitting , are the floor boards substantial enough for the weight of the cabinet and , there will be a need to remove the skirting from behind the cabinet , so its flush with the wall , is the wall plastered or plaster board , and the correct fixings for the type of wall construction , you said blocks so that may require chemical fixing system .
Also a mate to help carry it upstairs . Also you may require an FEO to inspect it , and you shouldn't have more guns in it than it is made for .

Dave
FencepostError

#8 Post by FencepostError »

Dave 101 wrote:A couple of things to think of before fitting , are the floor boards substantial enough for the weight of the cabinet and , there will be a need to remove the skirting from behind the cabinet , so its flush with the wall , is the wall plastered or plaster board , and the correct fixings for the type of wall construction , you said blocks so that may require chemical fixing system .
Also a mate to help carry it upstairs .
Thanks for the comments.

The total weight of the cabinets (unless I change my mind again and go for something bigger!) is a bit less than I weigh. Obviously, there's the contents on top of that, but I was thinking it should be ok right next to a supporting wall.

No skirting board, but there are a couple of other bits of wooden trip to used. The wall is painted concrete blocks. I assumed that would be a matter of drilling and using appropriate (expanding?) bolts. The first site I linked to offers to supply masonry fixings for a smallis additional charge - I was assuming these would be appropriate for concrete blocks. I don't know what a chemical fixing system is...
Dave 101

#9 Post by Dave 101 »

I have only ever fixed into brickwork with rawl bolts , I not so sure they work in blockwork walls so something like these is better to use , http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails- ... /cat840022
Check it out first .

Dave
FencepostError

#10 Post by FencepostError »

Thanks - will check!

(The more questions I ask, the less it turns out I know!)