Another first rifle looking for advice post

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

IlIHYPERIONIlI
Home club or Range: Greenock & district

Another first rifle looking for advice post

#1 Post by IlIHYPERIONIlI »

Hi everyone
I am relatively new to shooting so I started out with a 22lr to get my fundamentals right and now I think it's time to graduate to a full bore rifle.
I'm looking for advice from some experienced shooters. I plan to do a mix of stalking and long range/prs competitions. Would I be better to get a bergara hmr or pick up a b14 sporter varmint and drop it into an MDT xrs chassis?

Thanks
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

Re: Another first rifle looking for advice post

#2 Post by Geek »

I would suggest going to a few shoots and see what others are using before making a purchase. For information, I neither go stalking or shoot PRS just my opinion.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
IlIHYPERIONIlI

#3 Post by IlIHYPERIONIlI »

Thanks for the reply, not entirely helpful but the thought was there 🤣
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#4 Post by billgatese30 »

B14 will get you started, although PRS and stalking may be better off with two separate rifles. Its a bit like getting a car good for the racetrack which is also good at towing - it will end up being a compromise one way or another.
Chris
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

I am assuming PRS stands for Precision Rifle Shooting if so the kit used for PRS is not some thing you would use for Deer Stalking. Yes if you want to shoot them at 1000 yards and lug a heavy 30" barreled rifle about the country side. Horses for courses comes to mind.
I dont know what a B14 is so can not comment.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

As above, you really want 2 rifles. For a target rifle you want a long heavy barrel, especially if you are looking at pushing the range out further and further. And you really don't want to be lugging that around when stalking. A good target stock will also be big and cumbersome when you're trying to squeeze through a gap in the hedges too.
Let us know your budget and people can start making suggestions.
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#7 Post by billgatese30 »

PRS involves shooting around obstacles etc, so a super long barrel won't necessarily be an advantage, ranges tend to max out at 600 yards, so a 308/6.5CM will be more than enough with a 20-24" barrel and will aid manoeuvrability around the barricades etc. However with a high round count you will want a heavy barrel profile. Most PRS shooters tend to use a muzzle break or moderator to tame recoil too.

Bergara B14 offers a detachable box magazine, and can be made to accept ACIS mags (do some reaserach - this may vary by model) which will give you the ability for 10 round mags without issue. A tactical style scope with MOA or Mil reticle with matching turrets will be ideal. You will need to know your drops and windage and under pressure, having turrets and reticle in the same measurement system will help call the drop of your shot and adjust accordingly.

For stalking, I would go for a lighter weight barrel, with a less heavy scope on top and a moderator. If you are planning on stalking in Scotland, then Roe, Red & Sika (and possibly fallow depending on your location) are all possible quarry, so something .243/.308/.270 would be ideal (the latter two if Red is your primary target), and easy to get ammunition for in practically any gun shop. If you were only interested in Roe, then you can go for a .22 centrefire if it meets the energy limit, however if you want a rifle to just do a few stalks per year, then you would be better with a calibre that can take any species so you are covered. Rifles don't need to be super accurate like a 600 yard PRS gun, so something used, which can hold 4" at up to 200 yards will cover the majority of scenarios with the possible exception of very long shots on the open hill in the highlands.
Chris
Gun Pimp
Home club or Range: Diggle

#8 Post by Gun Pimp »

IlIHYPERIONIlI wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:41 pm Thanks for the reply, not entirely helpful but the thought was there 🤣
To be honest - Geeks post was very helpful, in that you'l get tons of advice on here from shooters who never got further than 100 yards.

My own club has a 1000 yd range and lots of new members turn up with aspirations to buy a 338 - but none ever do - after their 3 month Probation they've learned a lot which helps make the right choice.
IlIHYPERIONIlI

#9 Post by IlIHYPERIONIlI »

Thanks for all the replies. I've done quite a bit of research into prs and both the option I suggest have 24" barrels which will do the trick. I do realise that this rifle will be a comprise, I mentioned the bergara b14 hmr ( hunting match rifle) because if this and just wondered if people thought that would be a good compromise rifle.
billgatese30

#10 Post by billgatese30 »

It will certainly be capable of both. However more likely suited to PRS. What sort of stalking are you looking to do? Do you already have permission from a landowner or are you planning on doing woodland or highseat work, or taking advantage of being located within short distance to the Highlands? This will likely determine how much of a compromise you will be making. A 24" B14 plus a tactical scope will likely be pushing 11-12 lbs without a mod/muzzle break and depending on your age/fitness carrying that over a long stalk on top of your other kit will be a heavy option. You also need to consider your options for how you are extracting your shot animal!

I'm not saying its impossible, and there's people out there who do it, but its surprising how quickly the kilos mount up and cutting down on the weight carried out in the field can make quite a difference at the end of a long day.
Chris