Viper scopes

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

JRN
Home club or Range: CAM TIR, Magnac Laval France

Viper scopes

#1 Post by JRN »

Your views please- has anyone experience with vortex viper scopes! Looking at 6 - 24 x 50 ERB-1 or similar in x40, to be used on the range 200 to 500 m on 308.
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

Re: Viper scopes

#2 Post by JS569 »

I've not got one myself but looking to buy. i know a lot of blokes here have them and speak highly of them. The only niggle on some models is that the reticule can be on the small side but apart from that the reviews I've read have been really positive. For the price point and the life time guarantee they are very good value. The Military arms channel and Iraqvet8888 on Youtube both use those scopes a lot and praise them a lot.

I'm sure some uk owners will be along soon.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#3 Post by WelshShooter »

Yep, I have two of the 6-24x50 mrad FFP scopes. Use it for my 308 up to 1,000m and just put the other on my 223. Cracking scopes for the money, I've only used leupold scopes and I'd say vortex at the very least have equivalent or better clarity. I do find that the image is not quite as crisp at max magnification but that's not brand specific, it's something I've seen on all variable zoom scopes.
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#4 Post by DW58 »

I had a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA EMB-1 until a couple of weeks ago which I used on my .300 WSM Tikka T3 - the Viper PST is an excellent scope for most purposes, the only reason I sold mine was to move up to slightly higher magnification and larger objective lens (6-30x56).

Excellent scope and fantastic value for money with a bomb-proof warranty.
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#5 Post by safetyfirst »

Got a 1-4 and a 4-10 viper both of which seem excellent, streets above anything else sub £1,000 I've shot. The warranty makes the purchase seem much easier too, once you've paid for a 1-4 you've got a 1-4 no matter what you do to it....
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

#6 Post by JS569 »

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty

here's their warranty- makes for good reading
JRN
Home club or Range: CAM TIR, Magnac Laval France

#7 Post by JRN »

Thanks for your comments, it is search for the deal time.
WelshShooter

#8 Post by WelshShooter »

Riflecraft have got discounts, I had mine for £742 which is still the current price. You might be able to get slightly cheaper from the US but delivery was quick from RC and the guys are real nice too.
Scarface
Home club or Range: Tyne Valley Rifle & Club Mayfair Shooting center

#9 Post by Scarface »

I have a Viper 6-24x50 HSLR with the MOA ret and FFP, had one outing with it on my .308 CTR and it failed!
Turns out I picked up a duffer as the internal parallax mech would shift with the recoil causing me to have to re-focus after every shot. Spoke to Vortex Uk and they were v apologetic, it seems that the Vipers are assembled in the Philippines and then shipped through the US where they go through QC, seems mine was missed.
They did however replace mine within a week, send me a goody bag full of vortex stuff and refund my postage. I am hugely impressed with Vortex customer service and the scopes equally so (apart from the failure) build quality is good the turrets are accurate I love the FFP ret and the optics suit my eyes.

I just hope the last one was the exception to the rule.
It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot rather than speak and remove all doubt

Anschutz Match 54
Tikka T3 CTR .308
WelshShooter

#10 Post by WelshShooter »

That's what I like about Vortex, they have the no questions asked warranty. It's great to see that they extend their customer service to the UK!