A question for Those still serving

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

benp1992
Home club or Range: Bicester

A question for Those still serving

#1 Post by benp1992 »

Afternoon all,

I'm in the proccess of filling in my FAC and i know that i cant keep the rifles in SFA and they have to go into the Armourey. Now my question is Ammo. How and where do you store yours?

Ben
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

Re: A question for Those still serving

#2 Post by M99 »

benp1992 wrote:Afternoon all,

I'm in the proccess of filling in my FAC and i know that i cant keep the rifles in SFA and they have to go into the Armourey. Now my question is Ammo. How and where do you store yours?

Ben
Speak to your families officer (or whatever they are called now) depending on where I was stationed I had my firearms at home on some units, in my quarter.
Those that needed them in the armoury, I locked my ammo in ammo tins and handed them in at the same time.
John MH

#3 Post by John MH »

You can keep firearms in SFA, however, you need permission. If your SFA is inside an establishment then you'll likely have to keep any firearms in a Service Armoury, if your SFA is outside then its usually allowed.

Storage of privately owned weapons in SFA. All privately owned firearms
(including shotguns) and ammunition held within MOD establishments must be the subject
of a firearms (or shotgun) certificate. Occupants of SFA are to store privately owned
firearms in approved Service armouries or licensed explosive storehouses wherever
possible. Where this is not possible, the storage of legally held, privately owned firearms
(including shotguns) and ammunition is permitted in SFA with the prior written consent of
the NHPHD.
SevenSixTwo

#4 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Don't tell them. I didn't. It's none of their business what private property you own.

There's nothing in your 'Licence to Occupy' which specifically mentions firearms. Just do it.

Of course you can go right ahead and put them in the [damp, old] armoury if you want but you'll be at the mercy of the key holder out of hours/weekends etc. Bear in mind also that the ammo must be held in a separate building.

Op Ball-ache.
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
benp1992
Home club or Range: Bicester

#5 Post by benp1992 »

Luckily our armourey is 24hr 7 days a week 365 days a year always a team in there. I've been to see them today and its simple enough to store in there i just need to head over the other side and find out if i can store ammo and then i can send off for my FAC
SevenSixTwo

#6 Post by SevenSixTwo »

I've known private firearms to get trashed in mil armouries as Pte f*cknuckle gawps and handles them.

Good luck.
John MH

#7 Post by John MH »

SevenSixTwo wrote:I've known private firearms to get trashed in mil armouries as Pte f*cknuckle gawps and handles them.
Very true
SevenSixTwo

#8 Post by SevenSixTwo »

To add: They'll be subject to daily/weekly serial number checks - and the [random] duty officer's careless, grubby mitts will be all over your precious, expensive, private property.

"Woo-hoo! Look at this!!!"

Euch. Not for me.
Gundoc
Home club or Range: Triple C Tactical

#9 Post by Gundoc »

^ what they said.
One of our officers keeps his HK .22 clone in the armoury (he lives in the mess) every single duty officer feels the urge to pick it up during serial number checks.
Gunsafe in the qtr.
Yes, I work for Lantac.
Dunc
Home club or Range: Marlow

#10 Post by Dunc »

SevenSixTwo wrote:I've known private firearms to get trashed in mil armouries as Pte f*cknuckle gawps and handles them.

Good luck.
That happened mine. My 22 rimfire was taken onto the range by the adjutant and treated like a service rifle. :cry: