subsonic .308 ammo out the box

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Maggot

Re: subsonic .308 ammo out the box

#21 Post by Maggot »

DOGGER2UK wrote:
LAPSUB.jpg
This is the Lapua 200 gr subsonic bullet that Laurie and Ovenpa refer to in their posts. The 7.62 mm cases have been deliberately stained for identification.
You could give Sporting Services a call regarding stocks of subsonic ammo, but in the long run it will pay to reload.
Yep, that's the fellah. Blue case head. Sako had a blue tip.
extendor
Home club or Range: torbay full bore

#22 Post by extendor »

Guys, I can see the way this is going and given the estimates for costs I am going to make time to see my local gunshop and get some advise on reloading. You have all been incredibly helpful and this has been a great introduction to the forum for me. Thank you all very much
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#23 Post by Ovenpaa »

Starting with factory subs is not such a bad thing. As an example Lapua .308 factory subs can be found for under GBP30.00/20 or less than GBP1.50 each, now this may sound like a lot however when you factor in primers, bullets and the fact that you can probably re-use the cases 8-10 times or more and you do not have to faff around with powder loads they are quite a good investment

As an example, new component loading costs for the first shot would probably be a little over GBP1.05 each for subs.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
extendor

#24 Post by extendor »

Finding stuff off the shelf has proven impossible so far. Both local RFD and the shop I bought the gun from do not have any suitable ammo. I have emailed several large internet ammo suppliers and await replies. It is boiling down to striking it lucky with a RFD/ammo supplier :(
extendor

#25 Post by extendor »

I thought I would wrap this up. I have the reloading equipment and am going to see one of the chaps at my club for a master class in reloading tomorrow morning. I have to be honest and report that I have met some great people in shooting and the help and enthusiasm you get is wonderful and I hope that as I get to know a bit more I too will be able to put something back and pass that on to others.