Applying for My FAC Checklist and Progression

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Outsider

Re: Applying for My FAC Checklist and Progression

#11 Post by Outsider »

I live so very close to Kent that a few miles one way could push me over into Kent Police territory, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'll also try playing around with my ammo allowances.

I might try for slug; if I can't get it, I'm not too fussed. Maybe 200-300? I know some police forces are very iffy about it.

Looking at the loft, I have some work to do. But clean it up, add a dedicated ladder, put down a cheap carpet/boards from the hatch to the chimney, and pop a light up and it should be fine. I only plan on buying a small gun safe, so a 40-50 kg one would be about the weight of a man, which would be fine to put up there. And yes; there's a disused chimney that'll be perfect for gunsafe bolting purposes and provide extra support to keep the weight off the floor.
petedea
Home club or Range: Bisley

#12 Post by petedea »

I've got mine in the loft, bolted to the gable end wall although it was quite an effort to get it up there.

I would recommend putting in a built in ladder / hatch as it just makes life so much easier.

I did worry about condensation, but I've gone a full winter and summer with no signs of rust anywhere. Not sure if I've just been lucky or not, but I do make sure everything is dry, clean and we'll oiled before it's put away.

My FEO didn't bat an eyelid about it being in the loft, especially after I told him it was the only place the Mrs would let me put it!
zanes

#13 Post by zanes »

Outsider wrote:I live so very close to Kent that a few miles one way could push me over into Kent Police territory, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'll also try playing around with my ammo allowances.

I might try for slug; if I can't get it, I'm not too fussed. Maybe 200-300? I know some police forces are very iffy about it.

Looking at the loft, I have some work to do. But clean it up, add a dedicated ladder, put down a cheap carpet/boards from the hatch to the chimney, and pop a light up and it should be fine. I only plan on buying a small gun safe, so a 40-50 kg one would be about the weight of a man, which would be fine to put up there. And yes; there's a disused chimney that'll be perfect for gunsafe bolting purposes and provide extra support to keep the weight off the floor.
Think I'm down for 300 slug.

TBH as I had good reason, it wasn't a problem.
Firearms related legal question? Look here before posting about it.
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#14 Post by Demonic69 »

I was granted 300 slug without an issue!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#15 Post by GeeRam »

zanes wrote:
As for the guns, I was told by my FEO that the Met does not usually grant more than four on a first application
That will lead to a good court case at some point; but of course they know they can get away with it as new shooters do not like to rock the boat too much! Probably worth joining BASC (now) and asking for their advice as/when this issue becomes a problem.
Interesting if true given I'll be under the Met when I put in for my ticket in a few months time. Not a big deal for me though, as I had only planned on 4 slots anyway with only 3 different calibres so hopefully ammo count of 3 x 600 of each won't be too frowned upon given I might be perilously close to this NW of London area :o
fra150l

#16 Post by fra150l »

The issue with having safe in loft is the effort to secure your guns as soon as you get in the house. Plod are worried you may be tempted to just pot rifle bag in a cupboard for later (then maybe forget) or not bother as you are shooting again later or day after.
As log as you can assure FEO they will never be out of the cabinet you should be okay.