VCI's, "active rust protection" and VP90 sachets

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

I use a VCI

Napier Super VP90 sachet
40%
Napier VP90 grease
5%
Other VCI
10%
VCI paper
15%
VCI sock
5%
No, thats a waste of time and money
5%
The heck is a VCI?
20%

Total votes: 20

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: VCI's, "active rust protection" and VP90 sachets

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

We use the Napier Super VP90 sachets however only because they either came free with the cabinets or with a magazine. We now keep all of our firearms in cabinets in a dedicated concrete walled armoury and this will also be used to store everything shooting related so I will add a tube heater or two with a thermostat to keep it at a sensible temperature and humidity.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ian
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#12 Post by Ian »

Many years ago I was involved in an engineering shop that was about to be flooded. We spread VCI paper over some of the machines, lathes, mills, etc.

The shop flooded. When we got back in some days later the protected gear was perfect. Where we ran out of paper the machines were a write off due to corrosion.

I have been a convert ever since and keep a sheet (A4ish) of VCI paper in the cabinet and the smaller items, pistols, revolvers sights, etc. in ziplock bags with a strip (A5ish) of VCI paper inside. New paper every year or when I remember. Keep the unused paper sealed and it lasts for ever. Dirt cheap, £10 buys a lifetime supply, or get it for nothing from a local friendly engineering supply company as surplus, used, delivery wrapping.

Buy enough to probably give every member here twenty years protection for £60
https://www.cromwell.co.uk/AVN8301890K
Lead-Fouling
Home club or Range: Hawley CSG

#13 Post by Lead-Fouling »

Ian wrote: I have been a convert ever since and keep a sheet (A4ish) of VCI paper in the cabinet and the smaller items, pistols, revolvers sights, etc. in ziplock bags with a strip (A5ish) of VCI paper inside.
Sounds like a convincing story. I guess I've been over using it I lined my gunsafe with it! Mind you that is about £1.80 worth I think I'll switch to the sheets approach with a zip lock to store it.

Regardless, looks like napier is making a killing on their sachets. I suspect it's a VCI impregnated and some sillica to dehumidify, sounds like a decent product but it is an awfully small sachet wtf

One thing though is it seems it absolutely does not replace good cleaning. Forget to oil a patch or have a salty finger print on there and it'll rust simply because the skin oils prevent VCI reaching it?
Lead-Fouling
Home club or Range: Hawley CSG

#14 Post by Lead-Fouling »

Product literature on browning sock says life span of 3 years, so so much for browning tech support.
fra150l

#15 Post by fra150l »

I use silica gel packs I saved from unpacking IT kit. Brattonsound give free sample of VP90 with new cabinets.