Variation/Form 202 - quick silly question

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

FencepostError

Variation/Form 202 - quick silly question

#1 Post by FencepostError »

I think I know the answer to this one but would appreciate confirmation for peace of mind (or correction)!

I know I need to list *all* (including existing) firearms-to-be-acquired (though they only give you four spaces on the form!), but I just want to check that I *don't* need to list my existing ammunition allowances under "ammunition to be added" in order to retain them.

Common sense and the English language ("added") would indicate that I don't, but I don't like to rely on those too much when dealing with bureaucracies ;)
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

Re: Variation/Form 202 - quick silly question

#2 Post by phaedra1106 »

FencepostError wrote:I know I need to list *all* (including existing) firearms-to-be-acquired
No, you only list the extra firearms you wish to acquire along with their ammunition.

Your existing firearms and ammunition are already on your FAC and are only relevant to form 202 if you are using it to notify of their disposal or are swapping an unused "slot" (existing unused authority to acquire) for say a .308 rifle for one of a different calibre.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
FencepostError

#3 Post by FencepostError »

phaedra1106 wrote:
FencepostError wrote:I know I need to list *all* (including existing) firearms-to-be-acquired
No, you only list the extra firearms you wish to acquire along with their ammunition.

Your existing firearms and ammunition are already on your FAC and are only relevant to form 202 if you are using it to notify of their disposal or are swapping an unused "slot" (existing unused authority to acquire) for say a .308 rifle for one of a different calibre.
Sorry, I meant existing firearms-to-be-acquired rather than my existing firearms - ie my existing empty slots. I realise I don't list the firearms I *have* acquired.

The situation is I have a number of firearms, a number of empty slots (firearms to be acquired), and a (smaller) number of ammunition allowances, some of which are for firearms I own and some are related to (as yet) empty slots. The variation I'm requesting is for an empty slot that's currently for .44 muzzle-loading revolver, to .45 muzzle-loading revolver. As it's muzzle-loading there's no ammunition allowance for it.

So as I understand it, I should list all of my current empty slots (with the .44 MLR changed to .45 MLR) and no ammunition (I'm not requesting any change to ammunition allowances).

Hopefully this is clearer (and correct)?
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#4 Post by phaedra1106 »

Again no :)

If all you want to do is to change an existing unused "authority to acquire" from a .44 MLR to a .45 MLR that should be all you list.

Fill in the relevant boxes as follows,

In Section 12 "If you wish to report the disposal of any firearms currently shown on your firearm certificate please give details below"

Calibre - .44
Type - MLR
Make/ Serial Number - Unused existing authority to acquire

In Section 13 "Details of firearms to be acquired"

Calibre - .45
Type - MLR
Reason - Target Shooting (I assume)

And that's all you need to do, don't list any firearms already acquired or any other unused existing authorities to acquire

:)
FencepostError

#5 Post by FencepostError »

Hmm, the advice on my constabulary's website reads:
At question 13 enter all the firearms you wish to acquire including any unused variations from a previous request. Unused authorities are not automatically carried forward unless you request this.
Which is curious. I wonder if different areas use the forms differently, or if I'm misunderstanding the above.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#6 Post by phaedra1106 »

Never had that with Durham and they are one of the worst authorities in the UK.

The 202 form is to add/remove/vary the specific items listed on the form, anything not listed on the form shouldn't be touched.

May be worth a phone call or just write on "Please leave all other unused authorities in place"

OK, I'm off to get Number 1 cat in for the night then off to bed, hopefully one of the other forum members who knows more than I do will be along to help with more advice :)
FencepostError

#7 Post by FencepostError »

Just a quick update in case anyone's interested (now or when searching for answers in the future)...

I added an extra page (signed and dated) with the complete list of current firearms-to-acquire and a separate note detailing the particular change I was requesting (from and to). Got my certificate back today with the change as requested (so it took just over a week).
hobbesy

#8 Post by hobbesy »

Never filled out any forms, just sent an email with what I wanted and why. Simples
S&W M&P 15-22
Stoeger Sec 1
Adler a110 Sec 1
Winchester 94 .357,
Marlin 45-70
Savage 10 FP-SR .223
AI AE .308
.357 Westlake Alpha

Have slots open for.....
.22 LB pistol
.22LR rifle
fra150l

#9 Post by fra150l »

hobbesy wrote:Never filled out any forms, just sent an email with what I wanted and why. Simples
Which constabulary lets you just email?
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#10 Post by Mattnall »

Herts for one. They used to anyway, said they could get more information from a letter/email and as long as all the relevant details were included that was fine.

However, that was a few years ago now, and before they got in bed with Beds, not that I have a complain against the way they are working as they have been quick and fair on all the other stuff I have needed, just not variations.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.