FAC/SGC medical request

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

falco67
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: FAC/SGC medical request

#11 Post by falco67 »

rcaudwell wrote: I believe Nottingham constabulary sent letters to GPs of everyone with an FAC recently following some sort of "incident". Most of my colleagues ignored it as it was unfunded work, and it is not our remit to judge fitness to hold a licence.
I live in Nottinghamshire and have just been to see my GP. At the end of my consultation I asked about this and he confirmed that the surgery had received letters re FAC holders after a shooting incident involving 3 people in Nottinghamshire. It would seem it was a reminder about reporting FAC holders suffering from depression, mental illness etc.

I can't recall hearing of such an incidence over the last few months though.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Blackstuff »

rcaudwell wrote:In response to points above:-
2) Writing to GPs to ask their opinion on specific (non medical) things will rarely get a response. I work 11-12 hour days and am swamped with clinical work. I'd have replied as I share an interest with you, the vast majority of my colleagues don't. I've had requests to give opinion on vitamins, mobile phone masts etc etc in the last couple of months, unfunded work and stops me doing patient care so they go in the bin I'm afraid.
I can completely understand the pressures of the job and limited time. I have a friend whose wife is a GP and i've been shocked to hear about the sorts of things she's expected to deal with. I thought she may have been exaggerating to some extent, however watching the series about GP's thats on at the moment it seems like she may have been getting off lightly! I have come to the opinion that i am rather strange (no surprises there 5mith ) as i've never been under the impression that it is the governments, councils, polices, ambulances service or GPs responsibility to look after me in my day-to-day life, they are only there as a safety net. It would seem that a LOT of other people have an opposing view point.

With regard to the letters i sent, i was so disappointed due to the response i asked for required only a single tick in a box (Either; Firearms legislation (FL) should be tightened, FL is about right, FL should be relaxed in line with the rest of Europe) and the letter returned in the paid postage envelopes i enclosed.
DVC
rcaudwell
Home club or Range: Aintree Pistol Club

#13 Post by rcaudwell »

Just been talking to someone about the proposed new requirements. No links/evidence, but appears some sort of medical is being pushed for on application/renewal. Stupid idea of course, how would I know whether the vast majority of my patients are suitable for a licence, I see them maybe 20mins per year? All sorts of practical implications also, many GPs will refuse to do, either because they`re "anti-gun", or fear being scapegoated when someone they`ve done a medical on does something they shouldn`t. The cost will also be £100-150 at least I`d imagine, which I have no doubt will fall on the shooter.
bigfathairybiker

#14 Post by bigfathairybiker »

I had to pay £120 for my FAC medical.

Mark
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#15 Post by dromia »

So what FAC medical was that?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
rcaudwell

#16 Post by rcaudwell »

Sounds about right price wise, but why did you need a medical, not aware of any GPs being approached or asked by any forces yet?
bigfathairybiker

#17 Post by bigfathairybiker »

I was asked by the FEO when I applied that I would need to get a letter from my Doctor, which involved me having to visit the Doctor to discuss it. This visit and the letter cost £120.
I suppose it wasnt a medical as most people would see it, but it involved an appointment with a doctor.

Maybe as the letter contained no reasons for a refusal I should claim the money back from the firearms dept?

Mark
rcaudwell

#18 Post by rcaudwell »

bigfathairybiker wrote:I was asked by the FEO when I applied that I would need to get a letter from my Doctor, which involved me having to visit the Doctor to discuss it. This visit and the letter cost £120.
I suppose it wasnt a medical as most people would see it, but it involved an appointment with a doctor.

Maybe as the letter contained no reasons for a refusal I should claim the money back from the firearms dept?

Mark
Good luck with claiming it back! This shows the issue with getting "medical evidence" nicely though. As non NHS work, GPs can charge what we like (BMA used to advise on rates, no longer allowed to as it`s considered a cartel under some EU ruling or other).
"Get a letter from your GP" (or GANFYD - Get a note from your Dr) has infected every aspect of life, you wouldn`t believe the nonsense I get asked for. As far as I`m aware there is no clear guidance re firearms, i`d probably have wanted to speak to the FEO to clarify exactly what it was he wanted. I could then have done either a factual statement from the medical record (and not needed to see you), seen you for a targeted mental health assessment (which presumably is what they are getting at) or whatever else they want. What I wouldn`t do though is state anyone is "fit" to hold a licence - that`s down to the Police.
We already get a letter saying Mr X has applied for a licence, is there anything that would concern you? (or words to that effect), so other than a false sense of security for the FEO in question, your visit (and £120) achieved very little (from their point of view)
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#19 Post by Daryll »

My Son is currently going through the FAC application process, and he had to get a letter from the local Dr's.

The cost was £24.....
bigfathairybiker

#20 Post by bigfathairybiker »

Thinking about it, if I had just applied for a SGC then it would have been down to the police to contact the doctor. But as it was an FAC the law put the requirement that the applicant incurrs the cost.
May be if "I" wrote to the doctor and didnt recieve a reply then could the lack of response be used as evidence that all was ok, just like the police do with a SGC.

Mark