Probationary Course - Training?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

scanbran

Probationary Course - Training?

#1 Post by scanbran »

Just wondering what the norm is for going through the probationary period at a target shooting club, and qualifying after six months as a 'full' member?

As a new probationer at my club, I'm sort of left to my own devices during each visit, which in a way is great, just getting on with shooting.

I thought the Probationers Course was a kind of training programme, but from what I can gather it seems to be more of an assessment day to make sure you know what you're doing.

So, I was thinking...should I be seeking out the club coach for some expert tuition? It doesn't feel right having to ask members there who are actively shooting to take time out from their leisure to show me how to load a certain club gun, or clear a jam, or even show some proper technique.

On the other hand, I usually just use the same one or two guns each time as I know roughly how to work them :D
SevenSixTwo

Re: Probationary Course - Training?

#2 Post by SevenSixTwo »

In my club if you go six months without killing/injuring anyone, you're in! :good:
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#3 Post by froggy »

In my club , a probation member always shoot under supervision. It is the moment to ask questions/get tips etc ... It works well for the safety aspect & the range "behaviour" but I agree, it leave a big gap unanswered & I also feel something more structured would be nice. If you want to learn everything from safety, stances, shooting, incidents clearing, shooting on the move ... etc... etc... I will probably organise a W-E early December.
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Mezzer
Home club or Range: Morecambe Rifle & Pistol Club

#4 Post by Mezzer »

scanbran wrote:Just wondering what the norm is for going through the probationary period at a target shooting club, and qualifying after six months as a 'full' member?

As a new probationer at my club, I'm sort of left to my own devices during each visit, which in a way is great, just getting on with shooting.

I thought the Probationers Course was a kind of training programme, but from what I can gather it seems to be more of an assessment day to make sure you know what you're doing.

So, I was thinking...should I be seeking out the club coach for some expert tuition? It doesn't feel right having to ask members there who are actively shooting to take time out from their leisure to show me how to load a certain club gun, or clear a jam, or even show some proper technique.

On the other hand, I usually just use the same one or two guns each time as I know roughly how to work them :D
Sounds like your club needs to get its act together. Speak to the Secretary and ask him to have a competent person run you through the safety aspects of firearms handling within the club / range environment.

Mezzer
scanbran

#5 Post by scanbran »

Mezzer wrote:
scanbran wrote:Just wondering what the norm is for going through the probationary period at a target shooting club, and qualifying after six months as a 'full' member?

Sounds like your club needs to get its act together. Speak to the Secretary and ask him to have a competent person run you through the safety aspects of firearms handling within the club / range environment.

Mezzer

I should have said, I've had a full safety brief, and the range officers are very helpful in that respect, so safe handling and range safety isn't an issue at all.

It's more to do with where I go next, to prepare for this course, and how to actually shoot, loading different guns, use scopes/sights etc.
If there is a jam or mis-feed, the RO is usually right there to sort it, but I'd probably like to sort it myself at some point :)
Activ8
Home club or Range: WDRPC, Rossendale, UKPSA & BASC member

#6 Post by Activ8 »

I'd advise you need to be asking your club these questions... Why not ask on your next visit or even better, drop the club secretary an email asking exactly what you've asked on here.
I did my safety course (4 hours) when I started my probation but then was told to shoot whoever I wanted but if I had questions I should ask, if I wanted to try other calibres or rifles etc then again I should ask & I'd be shown.
A few weeks after my probation I received a call asking if I'd like to do a basic marksman course for half a day, free of charge to probationers, so I took them up on the offer. Now, if I have a question or need advice I just ask either a long term member or the duty manager at the time. You'll find the old boys love parting with advice & will help you in abundance if asked.
Current armoury:
CZ 452 Silhouette .22lr B/A Hawke scope
M&P 15-22 MOE FDE .22lr S/A Vortex Sparc II
Benelli Super Nova S1 shotgun with +6 Nordic mag tube
Beretta 1301 S1 shotgun 9+1
Mossberg 500 Magpul S2 shotgun 2+1
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#7 Post by Mattnall »

scanbran wrote:
I should have said, I've had a full safety brief, and the range officers are very helpful in that respect, so safe handling and range safety isn't an issue at all.

It's more to do with where I go next, to prepare for this course, and how to actually shoot, loading different guns, use scopes/sights etc.
If there is a jam or mis-feed, the RO is usually right there to sort it, but I'd probably like to sort it myself at some point :)
Many clubs I know, especially those with fewer members will instruct on range etiquette and safety and watch over you or even mentor you during this beginning phase of your shooting career. As long as you are safe and know how to handle yourself and firearm on the range that should be enough for the probationary period.

The finer points of shooting technique, etc. can be done during and after the probationary period as your aptitude improves but as this doesn't/shouldn't affect the primary safety angle of the probationary period it is often a lot less formal.

Will you be having a formal test at the end of your 6 months? Many clubs will use their experience of you over your probationary period to 'pass' you or ask for you to be a probationer for a few more weeks or so especially is attendance has been a bit sparse, eg as you work shifts or similar.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
scanbran

#8 Post by scanbran »

Thanks for the responses. I'll make sure to ask the secretary about what I should be doing when I visit next time.

Cheers :good:
ordnance

#9 Post by ordnance »

You should be thankful you don't have to jump trough to many hoops to get trough your probationary period, be careful what you wish for.
RDC

#10 Post by RDC »

The test is probably for your NRA SCC.