Gun Cabinet Choice & Securing

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

RDC

Re: Gun Cabinet Choice & Securing

#11 Post by RDC »

Geek wrote:I didn't remove the skirting board, fitted the safes above the skirting and wooden blocks (same size as safes) below and fixed the safe (using M10 rawl bolts) to wall and screwed to wooden blocks as advised.
I did the same. Spoke to my FEO with regards to mine due to having solid stone skirting boards in the room they were fitted and he suggested securing them above the skirting board. I ended up making a nice little platform for them to sit on in the end and he was more than happy with it when he came to visit.

If in doubt, give the FEO a call and explain what you plan to do and see if they have any advice. After all they will have seen hundreds of fitted cabinets if they aren't new in post and should be more than happy to help you get it right.
StangGT
Home club or Range: Phoenix

#12 Post by StangGT »

Thanks for that Triffid. Unfortunately I don't think it'll work for me but at least I know now!
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#13 Post by Pete »

I have a Brattonsound MT9, which holds 4 long-barrelled scoped rifles comfortably, not 7-9 as the makers claim.........gunsafe capacity is a bit like car fuel consumption, there's a published figure which is much greater than the real-world one.

It's on a small platform to lift it just clear of the skirting board, and fixed tight to the brick wall with half a dozen M7 masonry screws.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#14 Post by bradaz11 »

you can ONLY fit 4 in? what with a 2 foot gap on each? I have a brattonsound RL7+ which is exactly the same size as the MT9 (which is sold as for muzzle loaders, not scoped rifles) and i have 8 rifles and 3 pistols plus ammo in mine. the only gun that takes up more than one slot is my Delisle, but my mares leg sits in the gap between the next one... so i still am not really loosing the space.

as for bolting down to the floor only, it would depend on your fixing method, if you were using m10/12 chemistuds, i doubt there would be much of an issue, especially if it was in a corner and fixed to the wall through some cabinet sized spacer, you would only have a gap at the skirting board.

or if you had it in a cupboard or something you could just drop a block of wood between the cabinet and wall, and use the fixings to clamp the batton between the cab and wall, adding something like no nails for good measure

what you could also do is where there is a gap between the wall, make up a
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#15 Post by Pete »

MT9.jpg
Well, I prefer not to bash mine together when getting them in and out......................
Available width of cabinet is 37cms (It's lined with thin cord carpet), and each rifle is 8-9 cms wide, measured across the scope turrets, so that leaves 1-2 cms between each rifle.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
norwichyarn
Home club or Range: Waveney Shooting Club & Classic 20's

#16 Post by norwichyarn »

Thanks everyone for all your advice, it is very helpful for a newbie and plenty more questions are on the way :)
Will get the safe bought sometime over the next couple of months as it won't be until April when I (hopefully) will become a full member of my club and can apply for my FAC, can't wait as I know what rifle I want to buy to start with :)
Will hold off fixing it until the I get my police visit rather than possibly having to move the thing which would be typical my luck!

R
Browning Buckmark Sporter Rifle .22LR
Remington 700 SPS Tactical 20" .223
RDC

#17 Post by RDC »

Check with your FEO that they are happy to do your visit without it being secured down. From my understanding, many want it fitted so they can see how well it is secured. My FEO checked the fitment of the anchor bolts and how unmovable it was by giving it a bit of a forceful pull. I've seen stories of FEOs swinging off of it trying to move it, but how true that is you can probably tally up to normal Internet forum chat.
Tommygunn
Home club or Range: Rustington Home Guard Rifle Club

#18 Post by Tommygunn »

Ha! My inaugural inspection when I first applied for my FAC - the 6' FEO walked up to my newly fixed cabinet, put both feet against the base, grabbed the lip of the door opening with both hands, (door open obviously), and proceeded to squat down so he could apply his full bodyweight to give 2-3 good pulls to see if he could detect any movement. None was forthcoming so all was well :)
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly - Peter Cook
scanbran

#19 Post by scanbran »

I'm very interested in reading about gun storage and locations.

I won't be eligible to apply for an FAC for another few months, but have already begun planning where to locate a cabinet.

I'm thinking my integral garage, which has had the external door walled off from the inside, and there's a new internal wall/door been created at the other end, which will be lockable.

Then I plan to put the actual cabinet/safe inside a wall-to-wall cupboard, which is installed in the garage, so it will be well hidden, and behind at least two locked doors from any point of entry.

As long as it's bolted securely enough to the wall, I'm hoping this will be more than sufficient! fingerscrossed
norwichyarn
Home club or Range: Waveney Shooting Club & Classic 20's

#20 Post by norwichyarn »

scanbran wrote:I'm very interested in reading about gun storage and locations.

I won't be eligible to apply for an FAC for another few months, but have already begun planning where to locate a cabinet.

I'm thinking my integral garage, which has had the external door walled off from the inside, and there's a new internal wall/door been created at the other end, which will be lockable.

Then I plan to put the actual cabinet/safe inside a wall-to-wall cupboard, which is installed in the garage, so it will be well hidden, and behind at least two locked doors from any point of entry.

As long as it's bolted securely enough to the wall, I'm hoping this will be more than sufficient! fingerscrossed
All the info I have been given both in person and on here suggests it is best to speak to your firearms department and find out what they are happy with as different forces like different things.
I had a quick chat with mine and was advised not to fix the safe until the police have visited and have had a chat as to where is best to fix it and that this would not delay the application process.

Hope that helps.

R
Browning Buckmark Sporter Rifle .22LR
Remington 700 SPS Tactical 20" .223