Full bore clubs with weekday availability Midlands?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Yossarian
Home club or Range: SRPC

Full bore clubs with weekday availability Midlands?

#1 Post by Yossarian »

Hi all, I'm a relatively new FAC holder and I shoot 308 target with my primary club at Bisley, but I live in the Midlands and have been looking for somewhere a bit more local (anywhere in the Midlands would be better!) that's got facilities for weekday shooting as well as weekends as my work schedule often has me with most of my downtime during the week. Don't care about distances available!

Does anyone know if such a facility/club exists?

My searches of the obvious local clubs have some great facilities but they all seem to be weekend oriented for obvious reasons. Any pointers much appreciated.

cheers
Rockhopper

Re: Full bore clubs with weekday availability Midlands?

#2 Post by Rockhopper »

I've drawn a blank with the same search I'm afraid. Only Bisley seems to offer weekday shooting.

Where abouts in the Midlands are you? Maybe we could car share (I'm near Alfreton)?
Yossarian

#3 Post by Yossarian »

Hiya I'm in Lichfield. It's as much about the time to get there and back as the cost. It's a 2 to 3 hour trip from here depending on the traffic! I can cope once an month because the shooting is awesome there but I want to shoot more often!
StanDeasy

#4 Post by StanDeasy »

Several clubs shoot at Kingsbury on weekdays, but bookings have become very sparse since clubs have been banned from shooting alongside military units using the ETR range. This has been ameliorated to some extent by allowing clubs to book evening shoots on Tues. and Thurs. during the summer months.

Offas Dyke RC are the main club doing this, check their website: http://www.offasrifleclub.com/Index.htm
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

North Coates is open 24/7 and membership fees are very competitive with no range fees. Downside is it is around 85 miles cross country from Alfreton and probably closer to 110 to Lichfield.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Rockhopper

#6 Post by Rockhopper »

Sadly the North Cotes web site isn't completed - when you say its open 24/7 does that mean I can turn up at night on a weekday and shoot .303? What kind of distances are available?
Whizzbang

#7 Post by Whizzbang »

Derby Rifle and Pistol Club is located off the A50, south of Derby.

I moved away 3yrs ago, at which time it was a friendly, thriving club with 25yd, 50yd and "200" yd (actually 185yds) ranges. Full members who had met the required standards had independent access to the ranges, though there were limits on hours you could shoot (approx. Daylight only on outdoor ranges , tighter limits on Sunday, I think.)

The only problem was if you wanted to shoot at "200" and someone had set up at 100 already.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

North Coates Butts:

Distances are fairly limited.

15m Air Pistol
25m gallery approved up to 10,000 Joules ME with around 8 firing points.
40m open, I am not sure what it is approved for however it seems to be mostly rimfire and small stuff
100m tunnel approved to 15,000 Joules ME with 1 bench firing point plus seating, camera to view targets and a reloading area including a press.

The site is open 24/7 and keys are issued to the club house and 100m tunnel range. In theory everything is open all of the time however there is no additional lighting on the 25m and 40m ranges so for true 24/365 shooting you have the tunnel range.

From memory local membership is GBP140 PA however this drops significantly as you get further from the range. Ladies membership is FOC and there are no range fees. There is also a permanently set up clay pigeon area with quite a few traps and they shoot CAS and steel plate competitions there on a regular basis.

We use it on a weekly basis for testing, competitions and general practice.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Yossarian

#9 Post by Yossarian »

Thanks all, the steer on the Derby Rifle & Pistol club looks like a good facility with very flexible availability. From their website they say they're up to max on membership but I'll put myself on the list.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#10 Post by safetyfirst »

Take a look at Swadlincote too, DRPC is likely to be full for the foreseeable, probation list is vast.