Magazines do I need a FAC for them?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pesty
Home club or Range: The Balby Rifle and Revolver Club

Magazines do I need a FAC for them?

#1 Post by Pesty »

Dear all,

I am currently a probationary member at a rifle and pistol club for three months. After then I will be applying for my FAC.

My cousin lives in Arizona and is about to sell a sig 522 a rifle I'm thinking of getting hopefully if all goes well once I get everything sorted.

He has some magazines and said he will post them to me if. I want them or he will sell with the rifle.

Is it ok for me to posses these items before I get my licence? I've searched around but have not found anything specific about magazines.

Let me be clear, I own no firearms or ammunitions. I am only talking about empty magazines.

Thanks in advance

Ps I'm new here first post hello :)
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Magazines do I need a FAC for them?

#2 Post by saddler »

No license needed here, but the US ITAR laws make it illegal to export a magazine of over 10-rd capacity, from the US, without an expensive permit.
Some items CAN be exported. ...lots cannot.
Most of the best stuff is on the naughty list!

Welcome to the forum..
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Kungfugerbil »

You can indeed own magazines without your ticket.

As to whether to ship them over from the US... I wouldn't bother. They are cheap enough to buy here that it's not really worth the ball-ache for him to package, post and pay for the shipping, even assuming he doesn't get a customs jobsworth at either end opening the package and deciding you are both terrorists :)

Tell him to sell them with his rifle and just buy them yourself as and when you get the Sig.

PS I have a 522 and it is excellent. You can find magazines from twenty quid or so depending on the capacity and manufacturer etc.
DL.

#4 Post by DL. »

If you were being sent some spare magazine parts under two packages - spare magazine springs & followers and then floor plates and magazine bodies, that would be a different matter! O:-)
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

DL. wrote:If you were being sent some spare magazine parts under two packages - spare magazine springs & followers and then floor plates and magazine bodies, that would be a different matter! O:-)
Is it though? I thought that 'magazine kit' get around was only for state-to-state shipping?
DVC
SevenSixTwo

#6 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Most sellers in the US won't even send rebuild kits overseas. I'd really like some Lancer mags but it looks like I'll be whistling for a while.
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
StangGT
Home club or Range: Phoenix

#7 Post by StangGT »

Are you the same Pesty of PH fame?
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

AFAIK .22LR magazines are not subject to ITAR as they are not "articles specifically designed or otherwise intended for military end-use".

It may be controlled under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).

But I doubt it. I think if the total wholesale value is less than $100 and it is not designed or intended for military use it may be exempt from the need for an export licence. To be sure your cousin should ask someone who would know (BIS at DoC, BATF or DDTC at the State Dept) as you cousin would be the one committing any crime.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Pesty
Home club or Range: The Balby Rifle and Revolver Club

#9 Post by Pesty »

Thanks guys, big help.

Trust me he can afford shipping but I'll tell him to let them go unless he checks the laws over there. Glad to hear I can have them here and the sig is a good rifle.

Can't find 25 round ones for less than £35 over here so I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I like to be prepared I'm excited to buy something of my own. I'm enjoying using club members rifles and pistols but I'm excited to get my own gear. It's a very friendly little club so I hope yo get something interesting and return the favour.

Yes I post drivel on ph
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »

Pesty wrote:
Yes I post drivel on ph
;)

I like the drivel bit...what does ph mean?