Buying at the British Shooting Show

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

AJSawyer
Home club or Range: SNRPC, NRA Bisley

Buying at the British Shooting Show

#1 Post by AJSawyer »

By the time the shooting show rolls around, I should have my shotgun certificate. I was just looking to see if anyone had experiences buying shotguns/rifles etc... at the shooting show, and if there is anything I should be aware of? Any reason not to buy at the shooting show?

Thanks,

Adam
Malcy
Home club or Range: ITSC

Re: Buying at the British Shooting Show

#2 Post by Malcy »

Hi a mate of mine got a great deal on his shotgun at the show. Dealers are keen to take money there, after all it has cost them a small fortune to stand there, what with stand costs, staff, accommodation etc.
Also the fact that you have so many dealers under one roof competition is high.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#3 Post by safetyfirst »

If you know what you want but you can't find it there, resolve to go home without a gun, don't settle for something you're not sure about due to show fever!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

... and have a good idea of what your after retails for. Show offers might not always as good as they first appear.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
AJSawyer

#5 Post by AJSawyer »

Sound advice, ta guys.

I'll make sure I've done my research before I go... and try to pull myself away without parting with cash if I don't find the perfect gun for me!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

You also have to factor in the costs of attending, travel, entrance fee, food and drinks etc.

Then of course there are the psychological costs of being with crowds of human beings.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
AJSawyer

#7 Post by AJSawyer »

dromia wrote:Then of course there are the psychological costs of being with crowds of human beings.
Oh god. This. Without a doubt. I might just stay indoors...
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

As above. Go with a definite list of what you want and DO take the trouble to walk around the entire show to make sure you get the best price for the items on said list. Don't be afraid to haggle - I beat the guy down by fifty quid on my shotgun purchase - which covered the entrance fee, food, and fuel to get there plus a bit spare.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
bigfathairybiker

#9 Post by bigfathairybiker »

Oh... also... take into consideration that seller may be based 500 miles away from where you live and returning it because of a problem can end up cost lots if it has to go back several times.

No one sells something cheaper when they can sell it for more!

Mark
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#10 Post by Pete »

Why pay to go into a shop, albeit a big one?............and I'm definitely with Dromia re-crowds.

Pete,
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....