Prescription shooting glasses

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

AJSawyer
Home club or Range: SNRPC, NRA Bisley

Prescription shooting glasses

#1 Post by AJSawyer »

I've really got to get myself some eye protection, but I'd rather not have the giant shooting glasses that go over my prescription glasses.

Does anyone here have any experience with prescription shooting glasses? Preferably under £200, but needs must and all that.

Thanks,

AJ.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Prescription shooting glasses

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I did discuss shooting glasses with the optician at Bisley camp, he is there at most big meetings and apparently shoots as well so has a good understanding of what is needed. Equally choose the right high street optician and they may well be able to help as well.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Malcy
Home club or Range: ITSC

#3 Post by Malcy »

Hi lots of shooting glasses will accept an additional prescription lens. Mine did and the extra cost was only £80 for my prescription. I think the Jack Pyke ones accept them.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#4 Post by shugie »

If you are anywhere Newbury, Gary Alexander of Specsavers is target rifle shooter and very good at sorting the right glasses for you. I have a pair of shooting specs from him, only used when shooting my K31 but they make a difference.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Spec savers made me a pair for shooting with iron sights no bother I just explained to the optician what I wanted. I think they were about £160.
Martin

#6 Post by Martin »

Assuming you are a sling shooter, Sumo make a prescription lens holder that screws into the rear sight and holds a prescription lens. You can then simply wear eye protection such as Uvex make. An additional advantage is the Sumo provides protection from the rain.

The Sumo tube can be found here: http://www.sumosight.com/prescription-lens-holder

And the Uvex: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/genblacframc.html
nickb834
Home club or Range: Wakefield R&PC, Warwickshire Armourers R&PC

#7 Post by nickb834 »

I've just ordered some ESS Crossbow Suppressors:

http://www.esseyepro.com/Suppressor_212_category.html

They're designed to fit under ear protection with slim arms such that the cuffs can seal more effectively around the ear.

I've also ordered the Vice RX insert for prescription lenses - which tbh is the main reason I selected the ESS's:

http://www.esseyepro.com/Vice-Rx-Insert_118_detail.html

I'm having the lenses made online using my latest prescription - for the life of me I can't find the link to the site I'm using (might be on my work laptop) but the all in cost for Glasses, insert and lenses is less than 100 quid.

Most sites in the UK have the ESS's as part of a 2 or 3 colour kit, so you may end up with more than you need / want - I sourced a single pair in "HD Copper" from eBay via a US seller who charges an import duties and shippnig paid price and paid something like 65 quid.

I bought these as I'm a big tart but mainly because I cannot stand the inserts that look like Buddy Hollies specs behind a ski goggle, and these were the only style I saw where the insert had a minimal frame (in point of fact these are mostly rimless).

Just my two penneth - other styles and makes are available! :p
AJSawyer
Home club or Range: SNRPC, NRA Bisley

#8 Post by AJSawyer »

Thanks everyone.

I'm a big tart too then, because that's exactly what I'm looking for!

Edit: What is the difference between HDC, smoke and clear, in terms of the practical uses? I see you've gone for HDC, is that a decent all rounder?
norwichyarn
Home club or Range: Waveney Shooting Club & Classic 20's

#9 Post by norwichyarn »

I have Specsavers prescription safety glasses. I think including polycarbonate lenses they came in at under £100
Browning Buckmark Sporter Rifle .22LR
Remington 700 SPS Tactical 20" .223
mullen7
Home club or Range: Clydevalley PC

#10 Post by mullen7 »

Went the other route and got laser eye surgery nearly 3 weeks ago, have been shooting since and while I've had to re-zero my scope on my air rifle, I've found its pretty much made my shooting better.