New team shooter,

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: New team shooter,

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

A Rem700 with a Leupold 'scope in .308 should be doable for GBP800 and is always a good place to start, if you like the 'older' types of rifle then maybe an L39 with a 'scope on it as they give a mix of old and new. A pre45 Action and looks with the more modern 7.62x51 chamber so ammunition is readily available at a reasonable price.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#12 Post by Mike357 »

Haven't seen Rob's bang stick pictured for a while. :lol: :lol:
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Pilmar

#13 Post by Pilmar »

@ ovenpaa, I am up in the north east uk, newcastle that way on.

I love robins rifle, looks elegant but with that look of "dont p*** me off, or you'll get hurt" look about it, you certainly know which end is the business end of that rifle...

I hand't looked at reloading refore it was mentioned here, I clearly have a lot to learn and will sit today and read with the aid of the tinternet about it, I was looking at .308 lapmag rounds however bost rifles in the uk seem to be .308 win, and I was starting to lean toward .338, or is this to much bang?
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#14 Post by Mike357 »

I would stay away from the 338 for the time being. It's an expensive calibre to shoot if you are just learning! If you decide full bore is your thing then I'd stick to 308. It is forgiving, rifles and reloading components are easy to acquire and you have more flexibility over where you shoot as 338 may be subject to Muzzle Energey limits on some ranges (correct me if I'm wrong guys).

If you are in the NE, Dodgyrog and Dromia are very close by and can give you the full run down on clubs etc in the NE and on reloading, Rog will even try and sell you some of his excellent boolits :lol: :lol:
Mike357

#15 Post by Mike357 »

Pilmar

#16 Post by Pilmar »

dromia, are you a member of the bishop auckland shooting club?

I have just been reading and apparently the remington 700 series is highly customisable and compatable with accuracy international parts and accessories
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

Pilmar wrote:I hand't looked at reloading refore it was mentioned here, I clearly have a lot to learn and will sit today and read with the aid of the tinternet about it, I was looking at .308 lapmag rounds however bost rifles in the uk seem to be .308 win, and I was starting to lean toward .338, or is this to much bang?
.338 Lap mag is going to seriously restricted you to the ranges you shoot at and factory RUAG or Lapua ammunition costs close to as much as a packet of cigs per round! reloading costs are going to be significantly up on .308 as well. They are great fun to shoot but I would say avoid it at this stage. .338 Lap is going to knock you around as well.

I think if I was going to Full Bore for the first time I would try and look outside the box. The 6.5x55 is going to be more accurate than a .308 once you move out and slightly cheaper to load for yourself. It is also a slightly lower recoil round which always helps if you are out for the day.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#18 Post by 20series »

Pilmar

The Remmy 700 is probably the world most customised centrefire rifle!

There are a million and one options for tweeking, I bought mine and it evolved over the years
how I bought it + cheek pad+bolt handle
Adjustable cheek piece+Detachable Mag kit+Moderator
Rebarreled with 32inch barrel, Choate stock and F-TR bipod

Guntrader is a good place to look, http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/ ... =Remington

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP