New member- Support required for SGC apllication

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: New member- Support required for SGC apllication

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

Edward, 1000 rates are usually the most cost effective and as an alternative you can buy on line:

http://www.justcartridges.com/
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
farmer7
Home club or Range: Inverness-shire

#12 Post by farmer7 »

You're not required to store shotgun cartridges in a safe, buying a safe for 1000 cartridges will be an added unnecessary expense, you should store them securely and away from small children of course!
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#13 Post by Les »

If you're going to shoot 100 - 200 cartridges/week or more, then buying by the 1000 is probably a sensible option, but if you're only going to be a 'casual' user, then I'd stick to buying what you're likely to need.
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

I keep mine in an old NATO ammunition box, it holds around 1400 and cost me a fiver a few years ago, I added a hasp and staple because it seemed like a good idea at the time.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
mullen7
Home club or Range: Clydevalley PC

New member- Support required for SGC apllication

#15 Post by mullen7 »

I was told the other day by the person who runs the clay pigeon ground I go to regularly, that he was told by the FEO a few years ago that 'in under no circumstances were shotgun cartridges to be stored in a box, as it essentially makes it into a bomb should any go off.' I store mine under a bed in a room that's usually just room temperature.
Ovenpaa

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would certainly say do not store primers or powder in a steel box however when it comes to shotgun cartridges my FEO usually nods at my box when he does a visual inspection and we move onto something else.
/d

Shed Journal
mullen7

#17 Post by mullen7 »

I forgot to add, I also found it very very weird when I was told about it. The legal requirement meaning I don't have to store them in a cabinet or box, means I won't be. But I will probably look for a better place than under a bed - possibly in my cabinet cupboard, on top of my cabinet.
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#18 Post by HH1 »

mullen7 wrote:I forgot to add, I also found it very very weird when I was told about it. The legal requirement meaning I don't have to store them in a cabinet or box, means I won't be. But I will probably look for a better place than under a bed - possibly in my cabinet cupboard, on top of my cabinet.
Just bear in mind how big a typical cardboard box of 250 12 bore cartridges is. You are looking at something the size of a large shoe-box. Several thousand (as I typically have) takes up a fair bit of space.
mullen7

#19 Post by mullen7 »

Yeah that's fair enough when you're holding in that much quantity. I'll never have more than 1000, most likely only have a slab at a time as it's all I need.
Edwardsi

#20 Post by Edwardsi »

Ok, gun cabinet arrived yesterday and fitted. Swung off it a bit to make sure that it is secure for the firearms officers visit.
Joined Cosford shooting club in Rugby and booked some lessons on the advice from my local firearms shop, FMJ Rugby.
Looking forward to getting started, all being well in 9 weeks or so.
Does anyone know the waiting time for the application handled by Northans PCC?
Ian