First .22 LR

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: First .22 LR

#21 Post by Ovenpaa »

Very good point Dromia, there is nothing better than getting half a dozen rimfires down the range to see which one really works for you. Have you looked at the prices of the Ralock recently?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#22 Post by dromia »

No I haven't. I decided not to sell the ones I have after my BSA 222 mistake.

They must creeping up to the £200 mark are they? Everything is going up in price fast. I blame the auction houses for behaving like retailers now.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#23 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have seen them around the GBP300-350 mark recently which seems excessive however if that is what the market dictates who am I to argue. I think there has been a recent outbreak of Nostalgia to bump the prices like this and I just hope people are shooting what they buy as opposed to leaving them in the cabinet.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blacknsilver
Home club or Range: Bangor

#24 Post by Blacknsilver »

I am going down to my local range on Wednesday to hopefully shoot a few different rifles. Like you say that will give me more of an idea of what suits me.
Viper
Home club or Range: Pickering Rifle Club

#25 Post by Viper »

Just been reading through this as I've just got my FAC and it's time for my first .22.

I agree with the suggestions of trying rifles before settling on one based purely on looks or recommendations but how do you actually do that? Is it just a case of going to the local range and trying everyones' guns?? My local shop (York Guns) don't have anywhere to try them.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#26 Post by meles meles »

We have a 130+ year old Greener .22 on a falling block design that shoots just as accurately as any modern gun. We have a couple of 1960s BRNO no 2s, a late 80s CZ and a modern 2000 ish Izmash Olympic target rifle that also shoot very well. All group under an inch at hunting ranges if we do our bit. They all have different actions and their own ikkle foibles, but each and every one is as capable (or not) as the nut behind the tigger...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#27 Post by Alpha1 »

The only .22 I own is probably older than me it cost me ten pounds. You can not reload for them so why would I buy another one.
BamBam

#28 Post by BamBam »

Viper wrote:Just been reading through this as I've just got my FAC and it's time for my first .22.

I agree with the suggestions of trying rifles before settling on one based purely on looks or recommendations but how do you actually do that? Is it just a case of going to the local range and trying everyones' guns?? My local shop (York Guns) don't have anywhere to try them.
If you're a club member then asking other club members for opinions on their rifles might lead to them letting you have a shot or two, especially if you pay for ammo.