First .22 LR

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Blacknsilver
Home club or Range: Bangor

Re: First .22 LR

#11 Post by Blacknsilver »

Here's me thinking this would be an easy search for the right gun. I thought air rifles were hard work. But no. Regulated. Floating barrel. Bullpup. = Edgun matador. Very happy with it. A few little flaws but the right choice.
Nobody has mentioned the anschutz 22.
All I know do far it's that the thumb hole stock on the cz is very nice in the hand. I like the fluted and bull barrel style. The fluted barrel can't be shortened. Do I need a shortened barrel? The 20" with moderator is quite long.
So the 452 seems to be the better option over the 455. Did they do that in bulk barrel or fluted?
Do I buy new or 2nd hand?
Had a price on a tuned 455 grey laminated stock. Fluted. Polished bolt. Tuned trigger up rated Spring. £568
To me these prices seem great after years buying air guns. Last one was £1200+
One step forward and two back at the mo. Lol
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#12 Post by saddler »

Later 452 models WERE also in bull/varmint barrel options, etc.
For decades they were purely one model, then the USA sanctions were dropped & they made all sorts of USA friendly options

2nd hand is the way to go for your first .22 - my model 2 was a '73 vintage & I've no idea how many folk owned it before me
IF you wear out a .22 barrel you are doing something very wrong as they should last forever as long as they don't get rusty & pitted!

My first .22 bolt gun was the entry level Anshutz sporter. the 450??. Ditched it to get the much nicer BRNO.
One reason was the spare magazines cost as much as the gun had cost me!
(My first first .22 was a 4" Colt Diamonback revolver at the ripe old age of 17 with my then new FAC in my hands)

A good Anschutz is the Model 54 target rifle - or the latter 64: look for used club guns at around the £100-£150 mark.
Shove a scope on & have fun! Heavy beasts but great for range use. Some folk even use them for more static pest control.

Will be picking up my Arnie 54 as soon as my FAC renewal is through. Have a 20x Unertl ready to drop on it...

Do some browsing on GunTrader & GunStar
Yes, LIVE FIRING guns are a fraction of the prices of airguns...even 7.62 target rifles like the P-H 1200TX can be around £150-£200
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#13 Post by saddler »

Just had a quick look online

LOTS of Model 2 & CZ452 rifles to be picked up 2nd-hand for under £150 or so - with a good few under £100 - and a good few of the sub-£150 ones also having scopes & slings.

OR
New 452 Thumbhole Varmint for £585
Blacknsilver

#14 Post by Blacknsilver »

saddler wrote: New 452 Thumbhole Varmint for £585
Have you a link for that?
saddler

#15 Post by saddler »

Want to pay an extra £400 for the "new gun" smell?

It is on the GunTrader site, sold by Bob Dunkley over in Middlesbrough
https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sale/ ... 6095608001

MAY be a typo & be a 455 - but may also be old stock.

That £400 difference could be better spent on a Boyd stock & a better scope.
Your choice though & I can just about recall the novelty of buying new myself...
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

Personally I prefer the 452 with the Bull barrel and I am not aware of any significant differences between it and the Model 2. One thing you can do is re-spring the 452 trigger which makes a good difference for under twenty quid. As an aside, we have a 452 with 16" bull barrel here that I have used at 100m and it can shoot thumbnail groups without any real effort and that is with a fairly basic 10X 'scope.

The Anschutz Semi Auto offerings are rather nice, I have used one with a NV system and it did the job at the 50-70m I was shooting at.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blacknsilver

#17 Post by Blacknsilver »

saddler

#18 Post by saddler »

Blacknsilver wrote:http://www.gunstar.co.uk/cz-brno-452-2e ... les/793694

I
Am on the right lines?
looks very tidy.
nice bit of wood on it....
Blacknsilver

#19 Post by Blacknsilver »

Slightly closer to home than the Brno (I've enquires anpbout that rifle)

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/cz-ceska-zbroj ... les/782144
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#20 Post by dromia »

Have you actually shot and handled any of the firearms being talked about and done a range comparison?

There is no such thing as the best gun but there is the best gun for you and the only way you will find that out is by trying them. Looks are irrelevant in comparison to ergonomics and feel as you see very little of the gun in use

On the netty what you get is peoples opinions of their best guns, I recommend BSA Sportsman 5 for a bolt action and a BSA Ralock for a semi auto, both available at low prices on the S/H market they are my preferences, I like the old BRNOs but prefer the BSAs and as regards the target and quarry they don't know or care what gun was used.

Get out there and try a variety of firearms and then you will know the one that want, also I always buy second hand as new guns are like new cars a way of separating a fool and his money.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/