New applicant

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

GrizzlyGrant
Home club or Range: South wales

New applicant

#1 Post by GrizzlyGrant »

Howdy, I am currently serving my probation at a target club. Really enjoying the discipline it's taking me with this sport, and to be honest it's great to have something that I can do that doesn't involve my friends/family - true me time.

I'm enjoying the 22lr a lot, and looking at all the possible avenues available to me.

Now this is where I become a pest and start asking loads of questions (sorry).

I would like to apply for 2+ minimum rifles, with different set ups and actions for different ranges. Is this something that's frowned upon or is it acceptable?

I also want to start clay/target shooting. There's a clay range around the corner from me but no target clubs in the area, unless I'm mistaken? (South wales) that can accommodate for the targets.

Now If I am not a member of any shotgun clubs would I be able to apply for a sgc to use for clays on days and just pay the fee and turn up?
The same for a sec 1 shotgun? I would love to attend Bisley, would this be a good enough reason, such as practical shotgun?

I don't want to break any rules or get any red flags this early into the sport so what would be your opinions?

Sorry for such a long winded post all, and thanks for reading.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: New applicant

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Can you shoot centrefire rifles at your local range?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
GrizzlyGrant

#3 Post by GrizzlyGrant »

No centrefires allowed unfortunately, range only cleared for use of 22lr
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Welcome aboard :good:

The only PSG club I'm aware of in Wales (and I think its in the south) is Red Dragon PSG club, but I'm not 100% sure if they're up and running yet. Their email is david@resqnet.co.uk if you want to drop them a line. I'm afraid there aren't that many PSG clubs in the country and 2-3hrs travel (each way) is the norm. The next closest club to you is Border Guns http://bordergunspsg.co.uk/not far from Newcastle-upon-Clun.

You don't need a 'good reason' for a Section 2/SGC shotgun but if asked and you say "clay pigeon shooting" then that's enough. Its different for Section 1 as they're on your FAC and you need a 'good reason' for each one. Target shooting and pest control are the two good reasons, however if you have an S1 shotgun for one of those reasons you can also get a condition added to your FAC for clay pigeon shooting. You wouldn't be able to use clays as a good reason to acquire one on its own though. Being a member of the UKPSA, NRA, F4i etc are all considered good reason to apply for a S1 shotgun, but it may be a good idea to have the name of the club/secretary/match organizer to hand in case they as you where/who you're going to be shooting with.
DVC
GrizzlyGrant

#5 Post by GrizzlyGrant »

Ah that cleared everything up for me thanks. I can apply for my SGC on the grounds of clay pigeon, do I just ask for one gun on there or is there an allocated amount?

And then I can apply for the fac if I am a member of the club's mentioned?

I don't mind travelling for a decent day out, it's something that I enjoy so it's worth the investment, I just can't see the point in me joining a dedicated club far away that I know I won't go to as much as I should
Rockhopper

#6 Post by Rockhopper »

Does your club have use of a range cleared for full bore? My club books Thorpe Cloud about eight times a year.
Anyhow, my initial application was for a .22RF, 2 x .303, 1 x 7.62 and 1 x .357 - my club can provide facilities to shoot all those calibers (whether at the club or by using someone elses range) and my ticket was granted without question.
Rockhopper

#7 Post by Rockhopper »

You don't have to apply for a particular number or type of shotgun (unless its a section 1 as stated), you can have as many as you can afford!

Apply for both tickets at the same time, makes it much easier on the old paperwork front.
GrizzlyGrant

#8 Post by GrizzlyGrant »

Someone did mention that it's cheaper to apply for both at the same time, but that's just nonsense because I can see my bank balance plummeting fast haha.
Im not too sure if they use anywhere else, but I will ask on the weekend. Severnside is only down the road and they have club days/open days.

Border looks like exactly what I'm after too thanks
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#9 Post by HH1 »

The term is coterminous certificates and it will save you £40 over paying for both separately....

There isn't a limit on the number of shotguns you can have per se, but you need to ensure that you have adequate secure storage space for them all. Some forces insist upon extra security beyond a certain number of guns (variable by police force), such as alarm systems and bars on windows etc.
GrizzlyGrant

#10 Post by GrizzlyGrant »

I won't be going overboard quite yet, I only have an 8 gun safe, and that's a squeeze. I would be more than happy with 4 in the next 2 years then see how funds allow anything else.

How naive was I to think a few hundred ££ and I would be set.. I come on here and I am like a shiny magpie