CF Target

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Matty77

CF Target

#1 Post by Matty77 »

helpsign

Good Evening All,

I have now held my FAC for over a year and I am wanting to apply for my first variation and add a CF for target use. I just wanted to know what would be a good .308 to start off with?

Thanks

Matt
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: CF Target

#2 Post by meles meles »

That depends upon your budget and ego, ooman.

If you have plenty of cash we can 'ighly recommend something like http://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/inde ... rget-rifle

Alternatively , there are a good many P14s out there converted into entirely adequate target rifles that can be had for 200 pounds or thereabouts from such as http://www.highwoodclassicarms.co.uk
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Matty77

#3 Post by Matty77 »

Any one have any views on the following out of interest as a starter gun would be just for target use.

Howa 1500 .308
Tikka T3 .308
Remmington 700 .308
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#4 Post by shugie »

Of those, I'd vote for the Tikka, although I've heard good things of the Howa as well.
Careful now/that sort of thing
The Gun Pimp

#5 Post by The Gun Pimp »

They'll all give similar results with decent handloads.

The latest Howa in a synthetic GRS stock is good value around £750.

The stock is much better than the Remington SPS for similar money but there are lots of upgrades for the Remmy by way of triggers, stocks etc. so you can easily customise it.

The Tikka T3 would be a little bit more expensive but will hold its value and is probably the pick of the bunch.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#6 Post by DaveB »

If you are on a budget, Savage is always a good choice. In my experience they yield precision all out of proportion to their price tag.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#7 Post by Pete »

+ 1 for Savage..........the mod 12 in one of it's iterations, Palma if you can afford it, otherwise an F/TR.
Unlike the Tikka, Remmie, and Howa, it was designed as a pure target rifle from the word go.

Alternatively, a used Swing Mk4.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Rockhopper

#8 Post by Rockhopper »

Parker Hale T4?
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#9 Post by WelshShooter »

I've got a Tikka T3 varmint in .308win. It's a very nice rifle, the bolt is really smooth and it has excellent build quality. The only disappointment really is the 20" barrel length. It's a bit on the short side for any sort of long range precision shooting. Also, the stock is hollow plastic so expect a bit of recoil from it. There is "one action to fit all" so the receiver is the same same whether you buy a .223 or a .300 win mag although this is convenient if you want to buy an aftermarket stock and magazines. You can buy picatinny rails to mount directly onto the receiver so you won't need to muck around with dovetail rings for scope mounting.

You should consider the CZ offerings as well. I have a CZ 527 in .223 and it is a delightful little gun, and if it weren't for the T3 I have I would definitely look into the CZ 557 varmint. It has a very nice wood stock and has a 26" barrel with 1:10 twist, so it's perfect for shooting some nice heavy bullets.
Matty77

#10 Post by Matty77 »

goodjob

Thank you all for all the advice, I will defo be doing further research before i decide.

Matt