Variation in Somerset

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

ArcofZen
Home club or Range: Tunnel Club Charmouth

Re: Variation in Somerset

#11 Post by ArcofZen »

Thanks again for all of the advice, I'll be posting the Variation form off today so it'll be interesting to see how long it takes.
(Avon and Somerset)

i won't be holding my breath since I know they are understaffed. Will update with how I get on! fingerscrossed

Theres a lee Enfield sized space in my gun cabinet for one thing.... :p
Wreck diving heaven... https://youtu.be/SC3QXpVy15s
ArcofZen

#12 Post by ArcofZen »

Since there's another thread running on this subject I thought I'd update this one to say that I've had a call...
Apparently my application was 'fine' but the FO wanted a copy of my club membership as that's where I'll be using the centre fire rifles. In hindsight I should have sent a copy the first time round, rather than just the details, membership number/date joined etc.

Took the call on Friday 23rd and posted 1st class on the Saturday. So we shall see....
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#13 Post by Dark Skies »

Those amounts don't seem overly high. It's common to have .22 lr in the thousands as it's cheaper to buy in bulk.
300 rounds is low for .303

500 rounds on all the bigger stuff seems perfectly reasonable. Even a thousand rounds would not be outrageous.

If you can show you're having to regularly buy in these calibers and you're swiftly filling up the silly little boxes in entries then you ought not to have a problem convincing the FAC dept. of a need to extend the quantities. Cutting down on significant traveling and being able to obtain economic deals relating to frequency of use would all seem to be perfectly good reason.

Be honest in your needs and you ought to have no problem. Just remember that you need to be able to show you can store all of the amounts on your ticket under lock and key.

EDIT. I seem to have been typing at the same time you posted your update.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
ArcofZen

#14 Post by ArcofZen »

Update as of right now..

Just had the call (Bristo FO) to say I must send the original licence off before I can receive the new 'variation' license. I pointed out that if I do this I'll have no licence and be holding firearms, but that didn't seem to be an issue.
Fortunately I had more than one copy so I can always use that. Although I'll be unable to purchase ammunition.
It should mean that my variation will arrive early next week, thus taking less than two months.

Hopefully... lol
Rockhopper

#15 Post by Rockhopper »

Yes, you can't have two FAC's and you don't actually need to have one in your possession to hold firearms. It'll still be valid, you just don't have it.

Re ammunition quantities. Because you can get it cheaper isn't a good reason to want to hold more (that statement is specifically noted as being unacceptable in the home office guidance).

Cost alone would stop me ever wanting to hold my permitted 500 .303!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

Rockhopper wrote: Cost alone would stop me ever wanting to hold my permitted 500 .303!
You can build it up over time, either just buying it or by warming up the reloading press, as I did, cranking out 300rds of .223 for last weekend. Only for the smegging army to cancel our booking **** wallhead 8-)
DVC
ArcofZen

#17 Post by ArcofZen »

More is better when it comes to ammunition :good:
ArcofZen

#18 Post by ArcofZen »

I'm unsure how useful this thread has been, but hopefully it might give an indication for others in the Somerset area..

My new FAC with the variations I asked for arrived by post this afternoon. It took less than two months and has all of the slots I asked for. However they have kept my .22RF limit at 500rnds and all of the other maximum amounts are 400 for each:

.223/5.56 400
.243 400
.22RF 500
7.92 400
.308/7.62 400
.303 400
Section 1 12g

Credit where its due then really. A relatively quick turnaround (very fast in terms of the license 'swop') and quite practical ammunition authorisation.

Now to go shopping! :good:
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#19 Post by bradaz11 »

Well i dropped in a variation on the 22nd of sept. Feo called today and wanted to drop it over to me Monday
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
ArcofZen

#20 Post by ArcofZen »

bradaz11 wrote:Well i dropped in a variation on the 22nd of sept. Feo called today and wanted to drop it over to me Monday
Well that's just showing off! troutslapping