Advice on rifle safe

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

rox

Re: Advice on rifle safe

#21 Post by rox »

River wrote:I have found Infact Safes to be really good quality and value for money
As they say in the description on Amazon:

infac 12 Weapons Guns and Rifles with Lid and Seat Box
"This allows safe storage when not in use and the storage of 12 with toilet seat".

Awesome! Didn't think of that! And there's me leaving toilet seats lying around the house insecurely on, erm, toilets.

Rockhopper

#22 Post by Rockhopper »

The whole "Police approved" or "Police certified" thing is a marketing ploy - there is no such thing as Police approval or certification for gun safes (or anything else for that matter).

Even Brattonsound don't say they are Police Certified or approved on their web site (all they say is that their products are guaranteed to be accepted)...

If its made to the relevant British Standard then thats good enough.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#23 Post by Geek »

River wrote:I have found Infact Safes to be really good quality and value for money, this is where i ordered mine from. Great service. My advice is get the bigest you can accommodate and afford!

https://www.laddsguns.com/index.php?rou ... ct_id=6116

I agree.

Whatever you think you need, you will want more and therefore need a larger safe.

I have a 9 gun Infac (and a 6 gun Safeguard) and once you store rifles with scopes you NEVER manage to fit the capacity they state. The 9 gun can manage about 6 guns (4 with scopes). Don't forget all the other things you end up storing in there such as moderators, magazines, general rifle bit and bobs (I have all the parts changed from my rifles such as triggers, firing pins, sights etc.)

I would also recommend a separate ammo safe, you will never fit everything into the integral safe within the main safe.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
s.stimson
Home club or Range: Bristol Muzzle loaders

#24 Post by s.stimson »

As others have said, buy the biggest you can. However i will add a second piece of advise; when you do buy the biggest you can remember to lift with your knees. I have an Infac 18 gun safe and nearly hospitalised myself during a recent house move lifting it up stairs.
I own "pretendy" rifles and muzzle brakes, and I'm not afraid to to use them
jdwoodbury
Home club or Range: Stourport Pistol & Rifle Club

#25 Post by jdwoodbury »

Well in the end I went for a Ditry Pro Tool 6 gun cabinet (as I needed it to be a bit shorter to fit in my cupboard). I am impressed with it, seems sturdy, has 7 lever locks and built to BS standard.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#26 Post by Ovenpaa »

JW, How many rifles do you think it will actually hold, so many times I come across a 10 gun that holds 8 at a push or a 6 that will just take 5.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
RDC

#27 Post by RDC »

I've got a Brattonsound RD7+ that the FLO reckons I can get 10 in! I'll be lucky to get 6 in if I don't take the Harris bipods off two of them.
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

#28 Post by Pinguino »

I've got a BrattonSound SL9+ (9 gun)
It holds SIX - three shotguns and three scoped rifles, and I have to jiggle them about when removing or replacing them in the cabinet.
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#29 Post by daman »

My BSA GS6LTD holds 3 scoped rifles, 1 iron sight rifle and 2 shotties - pretty much as advertised.

But of course, I want to buy something else, and it deffo won't hold more than 6. I think the extra depth for the scopes makes all the difference compared to other safes.

As others have said, but bigger than you think you'll need, and a separate ammo safe - the lock top just gets used for bolts!
aris
Home club or Range: Watford

#30 Post by aris »

Pinguino wrote:I've got a BrattonSound SL9+ (9 gun)
It holds SIX - three shotguns and three scoped rifles, and I have to jiggle them about when removing or replacing them in the cabinet.
The SL9+ is advertised as a 9 shotgun cabinet.

The RL7+ is advertised as a 6/7 rifle cabinet.

The dimensions of each are identical. The only difference is the configuration of the foam inserts which hold the guns in place.

http://www.brattonsound.co.uk/sent_models.html