Should I send my application yet?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

SamJones
Home club or Range: WRPC

Should I send my application yet?

#1 Post by SamJones »

Morning all,
Just wondering if I should begin filling in my application yet?
I've been a proby member at WPRC for ten weeks now, and was just wondering if now would now be a good time to fill in and send my application?
I live in North Yorkshire, not West so I don't know if that would make too much of a difference?
I did miss a weeks shooting due to other commitments, so I only have nine signed visits although I intend to go twice next week.

Thanks in advance :)
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

Re: Should I send my application yet?

#2 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Ask the club. That's the only answer.

Some clubs ask that you're a probationer for 6 months, some three; some may want you to go longer if they're not ready to 'sign off' on you.

North Yorks are moving tickets through at a reasonable pace, so I wouldn't get too hung up about that.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

You need you wait until you are a full member before submitting it but no harm in filling out forms ready to go.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
SamJones

#4 Post by SamJones »

But I'm an impatient person! :(
*walks off in a huff*

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll ask what they recommend tomorrow evening, I suppose its only an extra two weeks!
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Kungfugerbil »

SamJones wrote:Thanks for the advice guys, I'll ask what they recommend tomorrow evening, I suppose its only an extra two weeks!
They have actually explained the process quite well on the website under 'membership FAQ'. Once you've done your 12 visits and a minimum of three months you can apply for full membership. Once this gets approved you get a card and a number - only at that point can you start the FAC application process.

They seem pretty well organised in that respect so I can't imagine it will take that long :)
SamJones

#6 Post by SamJones »

Kungfugerbil wrote: They have actually explained the process quite well on the website under 'membership FAQ'. Once you've done your 12 visits and a minimum of three months you can apply for full membership. Once this gets approved you get a card and a number - only at that point can you start the FAC application process.
Yes I understand the minimum of twelve visits over a minimum of twelve weeks (thankfully I'm on week eleven tomorrow!) but I was just curious as to whether I could send off the application now or if I did have to wait the full twelve weeks

Thanks for clearing it up though :) thankssign
Rockhopper

#7 Post by Rockhopper »

If you are sure you are going to be made up to full member I'd sent it off now - they will contact your club to ask if you are a member or not - that might be months down the track the way some police forces are going...
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Kungfugerbil »

^ for the sake of a couple of weeks, it's surely better to wait until you have your membership number - then you can supply that on the form. Until you are a full member you don't really have 'good reason'. If they start processing the form before you are a member and you've stated that you're a full member, it will delay things... if the police are in a funny mood, they may chuck you to the back of the pile or worse.

That's just me though - I play things with a straight bat so no-one has any excuse to not do the same with me :)
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Les »

Kungfugerbil wrote:^ for the sake of a couple of weeks, it's surely better to wait until you have your membership number - then you can supply that on the form. Until you are a full member you don't really have 'good reason'. If they start processing the form before you are a member and you've stated that you're a full member, it will delay things... if the police are in a funny mood, they may chuck you to the back of the pile or worse.

That's just me though - I play things with a straight bat so no-one has any excuse to not do the same with me :)
+1.

You're not a full member until the club says you are, so why jeopardise your FAC application for the sake of a couple of weeks. The police could easily refuse to handle your FAC application if they thought you were taking chances. It's just not worth it. :bad:
SamJones

#10 Post by SamJones »

Well tonight will be my tenth visit and I'm going to go twice next week, which will make twelve visits over the course of twelve weeks, then hopefully become a full member. I'll start filling in my application when I get a chance this week so it gives me plenty of time to ask you guys on anything that confuses me.

Thanks again for your advice :)