Should I send my application yet?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

RDC

Re: Should I send my application yet?

#11 Post by RDC »

Is no one in the club guiding you through the application process and the particular quirks of your local force?
SamJones
Home club or Range: WRPC

#12 Post by SamJones »

RDC wrote:Is no one in the club guiding you through the application process and the particular quirks of your local force?
They are being helpful but I generally don't stay around too long on a Wednesday night because it is the worst night of the week for myself with starting work early on a Thursday and living the best part of an hours drive away. Wakefield is also in West Yorkshire and the majority of the members are also from West, whereas I'm near Harrogate in North Yorkshire.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#13 Post by saddler »

SamJones wrote:
RDC wrote:Is no one in the club guiding you through the application process and the particular quirks of your local force?
They are being helpful but I generally don't stay around too long on a Wednesday night because it is the worst night of the week for myself with starting work early on a Thursday and living the best part of an hours drive away. Wakefield is also in West Yorkshire and the majority of the members are also from West, whereas I'm near Harrogate in North Yorkshire.
Seems a long way to drive

Isn't there a club at Stead Hall range near Knaresborough?
Shot on the full bore tunnel ranges there - nice set up...wish I was closer myself!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

Have you got secure storage is your security up to snuff. You will look pretty stupid if you put in an application and the firearms enquiry officer wants to come and inspect and you don't have any were to secure firearms. What's the rush to get your hands on a fire arm certificate.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Blackstuff »

Alpha1 wrote:Have you got secure storage is your security up to snuff. You will look pretty stupid if you put in an application and the firearms enquiry officer wants to come and inspect and you don't have any were to secure firearms. What's the rush to get your hands on a fire arm certificate.
DVC
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Kungfugerbil »

SamJones wrote:They are being helpful but I generally don't stay around too long on a Wednesday night
There's nothing to say the granting of full membership is a given; if you just turn up, shoot ten rounds then clear off without interacting with anyone it makes it harder for the committee / instructors to get to know you or form an opinion. At our club we're asked as instructors what we think of each person that wants to get full membership/apply for their ticket.

Of course it may not be the same at Wakefield :)
Rockhopper

#17 Post by Rockhopper »

Its quite usual for FOA's to do a home visit before you have your cabinet fitted then come back again after to check it before your ticket gets signed. Takes longer of course but it saves wasting money on a cabinet if you have any reason to think you might not get it.
SamJones
Home club or Range: WRPC

#18 Post by SamJones »

saddler wrote: Seems a long way to drive

Isn't there a club at Stead Hall range near Knaresborough?
Shot on the full bore tunnel ranges there - nice set up...wish I was closer myself!
It sometimes feels like it after work but it's only forty minutes each way so it isn't too bad, plus its straight down the M1 so cruise control all the way :P

Stead Hall, I can't see if they have a website (most shooting related stuff is blocked on our work computer system) but I believe they are in Ilkley? if so, it's still about a forty minute drive but more awkward to get to but I'm still thoroughly enjoying myself at Wakefield :)

Also, just to amuse you all, I had one less visit that I thought so a bit more time to fill in the application 8-)