Club choice?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

krum2000

Club choice?

#1 Post by krum2000 »

I'm finding this a bit confusing so thought I would ask the experts. :) I'm looking to join my local club (Warrington and District), only 30 minutes from me. They cover target and gallery as well as access to MOD ranges so that covers me for pretty much any calibre I may be interested in obtaining as far as I know. Is that correct?

However I'm also interested in practical shotgun and mini rifle which aren't done there. Nearest club for that is an hour+ away. Would being a member of my local club allow me to A, visit other clubs to shoot if I wanted to do different disciplines? and B, Cover me for a section 1 shotgun to use elsewhere? Or would I need to join both?

Its a toss up between joining the local where I can go easily and regularly in the evenings or joining a further afield club that I can only go to when I have more time. helpsign
Rockhopper

Re: Club choice?

#2 Post by Rockhopper »

To get a section 1 shotgun slot you have to show you have access to a club or facility that allows you to use a section 1 shotgun. Becoming a full member of the other club would be one way of demonstrating this. Your FEO will write to your club and ask them if they have facilities for all the guns, calibers etc you have requested. In this case your main club would have to say no, they can't accommodate a section 1 shotgun. If however they were able to book a suitable range and run it with their own range officers then that would be okay.
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#3 Post by Hrun »

Two clubs for me, between them they satisfy my desires. Helps that one (fullbore) is 25 quid a year as the other is 40 quid a month for both the Hrun's
RDC

#4 Post by RDC »

they won't just give you sec 1 shotguns if your club doesn't do that sort of thing unless you have shown intent to take it seriously elsewhere. Attend a safety course, it's what I did. I've since joined another club for the PSG and loving it.

There is nothing stopping you joining both.

My safety course was with the NRA and I was already a member of the NRA anyway so this may have helped the variation grant.
krum2000

#5 Post by krum2000 »

Yeah its looking like I will have to join two if that's what I want to do. Warrington says they have some access to shotgun at another club but its only for clays. :) Maybe Diggle ranges as they seem to do everything. Time for more research.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#6 Post by Geek »

I am a member of Diggle Ranges and Rossendale Fusiliers and I must say that Rossendale Fusiliers is excellent for PSG, dedicated shooting bays, etc. The competition event at the weekend had 60 competitors, some travelled from Exeter (that must be an indication of the quality!). Many members travel to get to the club, which also as 50m, 100m and 200m ranges for target shooting + clays.

Diggle is a pure completion club, whereas Rossendale members practice (when not running competitions) and more experienced PSG shooters train those of us who are less experienced.

If you want to try PSG I would recommend Rossendale Fusiliers, they also run PSG safety courses. Also they have just agreed an increase in PSG membership numbers, so now would be a good time to apply.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#7 Post by Les »

Dave, WDRPC were starting mini rifle - I'm not sure if it ever got off the ground, though. There was also talk of starting PSG, but again I don't know if it ever got going. I'll PM you tomorrow night because I'll be there in the afternoon - or call in yourself between 12 and 3pm. One of the desk staff will be able to give you all the details.

You can shoot anything from .22LR to 44 magnum -except .17HMR - in the club itself, as well as black powder. Any fullbore on the MOD ranges.
38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

#8 Post by 38Super »

Membership of Four4islands as a national PSG club is considered 'good reason' for a S1 shotgun I believe.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

If you do your research and attend the PSG club a few times, possibly shooting a few comps with a Section 2 shotgun, some FLD's accept simply being a member of the UKPSA or FourIslands at 'good reason' for S1 shotguns. If you've got access to a club, or from the sound of it multiple clubs (bloody West coasters green55 ) then I would advise joining one. Travelling 1-2hrs for club level PSG is pretty standard.
DVC
krum2000

#10 Post by krum2000 »

Cheers Les, thanks or that. I'm definitely looking at WDRPC to join. Closest and with great opening times so I can go more regularly.

Thanks Geek, Rossendale does sound really good, cant find too much info about how it works. Do they cater for complete beginners/have club guns or should I go for a few lessons elsewhere, get my SGC and buy a gun and then join? I was reading about Diggle last night and people were saying that while the setup is the best around it seems to be either comps every weekend or hard to get ROs on the ranges.

Cheers38super is Four4islands an organisation rather than an actual physical club?

Blackstuff, we have more than I thought when I first looked, there are at least 5 PSG clubs within 90 mins of me. As well as at least 10 rifle clubs and a multitude of clay grounds. Its pretty good to live in Cheshire. Haha maybe I'm just being spoilt wanting one on my doorstep. Hahaha :D