Gun Safe Fixing (Help)

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

bsctiny

Re: Gun Safe Fixing (Help)

#31 Post by bsctiny »

My father was a prison officer for 30 years, a prisoner once told
him to hide valuables in the loft as a burglar wont go where they
only have one escape route.
Surfice to say my gun safes are in the loft, pain in the neck
but out of site out of mind if we do get burgled.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#32 Post by Dark Skies »

Duey wrote:Also if you have a skirting board I tend to sit the safe on top of it so there isn't a gap to the wall your bolting too, you can cut the skirting board out of course but a mess if you move the cabinet in future
Just seen this thread ...

I pondered on this years ago. If you sit the cabinet on the ledge of the skirting there is a significant gap underneath - just perfect for putting the loop of a crowbar under, lodging on the bottom of the cabinet, whilst the user stands on the end of the crowbar, stabilizing their efforts to bounce the crowbar enough to start working a purchase point between the back and the wall.

I cut out the skirting to accommodate the cabinets - it's easy and cheap to replace if moving later on.
This allows the cabinet to sit flush AND you can put a few additional screws through the bottom of the cabinet into the floorboards for good measure. I also bolt the cabinets sitting either side of the centre one together. So they are all bolted to the wall, each other AND the floor. Even if they could rip them from the wall - good luck carrying three cabinets down the stairs with all that weight.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
pumpkinman
Home club or Range: Offa's dyke, Swansea.

#33 Post by pumpkinman »

Hi I use Rawl bolts ,
My house is old "stone walls"
Always makes a mess but only the Rawl bolts will bite
As prior posts you need to cut off bolt threads
A ratchet spanner may be better than a socket, I really should make up my mind I moved mine 3 times ,what a pain .!
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#34 Post by Geek »

As the other post really. I have two safes (10 and 6 gun+ a break down shotgun safe for ammunition), all fixed using M10 rawl bolts (don't use the M8's that are provided with some safe's). The full length safes are fixed above the skirting board with a wooden plinth below each safe. The plinths are secured to the safe via the holes in the bottom of the safe (the plinth was a recommendation by GMP as part of my initial visit, to stop them (I am sure nothing is impossible) being bottle jacked.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

#35 Post by 38Super »

dromia wrote:
Pete wrote:I used 6 of these 100mm long. http://www.heco-schrauben.de/en/Screws/ ... duct-range

Pete
These were my preferred fixings when I had cabinets.

They are far easier to fit than the rawl bolt type fittings, I drilled my holes at a slight angle.

They grip as tight as the expanding ones without the risk of over tightening.
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but the link above doesn't work now.
I like the look of these for fixing the new cabinet.
Which size did people use?
Are they OK for brick walls?

TIA
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#36 Post by Pete »

Just search "multi monti" in ebay, there's loads of them........you want the type that look like a hex headed fat self tapper.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#37 Post by bradaz11 »

38Super wrote:
dromia wrote:
Pete wrote:I used 6 of these 100mm long. http://www.heco-schrauben.de/en/Screws/ ... duct-range

Pete
These were my preferred fixings when I had cabinets.

They are far easier to fit than the rawl bolt type fittings, I drilled my holes at a slight angle.

They grip as tight as the expanding ones without the risk of over tightening.
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but the link above doesn't work now.
I like the look of these for fixing the new cabinet.
Which size did people use?
Are they OK for brick walls?

TIA
search masonry bolt for generic term
any size above 8 should be fine.
yeah they work fine in brick
I still think the adhesive and studding is a better route to go, but these are a good 2nd place.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails ... cat6530001
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#38 Post by Pippin89 »

Yep - I used these with some vinylester adhesive. Can't remember if I used M8 or M10. Check the holes in your cabinet to see which will fit.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-stu ... pack/2885f
Ludders
Home club or Range: Marlow RPC

#39 Post by Ludders »

On the subject of gun cabinets. I had one of mine where the lock jammed whilst it was closed. I considered calling a locksmith but was able to work out a way of opening the cabinet myself which I managed to do. I will not put the method here but if any member has a gun cabinet that they cannot open PM me and I will try and help.
RDC

#40 Post by RDC »

Ludders wrote:On the subject of gun cabinets. I had one of mine where the lock jammed whilst it was closed. I considered calling a locksmith but was able to work out a way of opening the cabinet myself which I managed to do. I will not put the method here but if any member has a gun cabinet that they cannot open PM me and I will try and help.
ImageI

Other brands are available.