.308 for a beginner up to 1000yds

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Spencer54
Home club or Range: Reeds

.308 for a beginner up to 1000yds

#1 Post by Spencer54 »

Hi hope you can help me out.

I'm after a .308 to get started with - I like the thought of a Remington and all the options, but some say they are fairly hopeless unless you spend a load. The Howa I've shot and wasn't that impressed with.

Friend has bought the RPR and thats nice, but i feel I want something different.

I've seen the Mauser M12 Impact but I know no-one with one, or can find a decent real world review.
Sako 75/85s look promising so they're on the radar.

Tikka is another option, but I'm not 100% sure I'd be better off paying that bit more and getting a Sako.

Bit of a pickle - but I guess its quite common.
BamBam

Re: .308 for a beginner up to 1000yds

#2 Post by BamBam »

Do you want a target rifle or a stalking rifle?

Some of the options you've listed are 20" barrel stalking rifles, which wouldn't be my choice for a 1000yd rifle.
Spencer54
Home club or Range: Reeds

#3 Post by Spencer54 »

Target only I think, well for the time being at least.
Mikaveli
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#4 Post by Mikaveli »

I believe the RPR only has a 20" barrel in 308?

Whatever you get I'd suggest 24" as a minimum for 1000 yds - it can be done with less, but higher MV without higher pressure loads is always a bonus.
BamBam

#5 Post by BamBam »

Spencer54 wrote:Target only I think, well for the time being at least.
What kind of budget do you have for a rifle?
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#6 Post by meles meles »

If your budget will stretch to it, ooman, have a look at a Schultz & Larsen Classic rifle. Their barrels are excellent quality and interchangeable too, so you could start off with a .308 now and in time add a second calibre barrel if you decide to take up shooting at a different distance or go hunting. Only one trigger to get used to, one scope to provide, hence it's a saving in the long term and you start off with awesome quality anyway.

www.greatdanerifles.com
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
The Gun Pimp

#7 Post by The Gun Pimp »

If it's your first rifle, why not go for the Ruger in 6.5 Creedmoor? It's a very good performer out to 1000 yds and at under £1200, great value. It's no more difficult to load a Creemoor than a 308.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

The first thing you need to tell us is what is your budget. How much can you spend with out her indoors divorcing you.
I am tempted by the new Ruger .308 I fondled one on Saturday. She got me really excited.(Hmm thats enough of that.)
Not sure it would go out to a 1000 yards though.
The second question is how likely are you to be able to shoot at 1000 yards do you have access to a 1000 yard range do you really need a rifle dedicated to 1000 yards.

Or as the gunpimp says you could go for the 6.5 creedmoor version.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#9 Post by DaveB »

I have both a Remington SPS Tactical and a Savage 110 FPS (which I believe is still available but under a different designation). Both are intended as police sniper rifles, and both will do the trick for reasonable prices. You will not need to spend a lot on them - but you may have to do a bit of work, like hogging out the fore end on the Remington a bit.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#10 Post by Pete »

A single shot purpose built target rifle with a 30" barrel and a decent proper 2-stage trigger would be my choice.
Some good ones about, around 1000-1500 squid.
For example: http://www.fultonsofbisley.com/firearms ... 62mm-f4148

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....