.308 for a beginner up to 1000yds

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Re: .308 for a beginner up to 1000yds

#21 Post by shugie »

When facing a similar question, my solution was a secondhand (at least) Swing mk. 4 target rifle which then had a 20moa rail mounted on it.

When, or more likely if, I get to the point of being able to shoot it with consistent accuracy at 1000 yards, then I might consider replacing it.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#22 Post by Pete »

Me too.........I put a home made zero MOA rail on mine to take some Optilocks I already had. 25 MOA was achieved by shimming the rear ring where it screws on to the base.
I can also put a Trakker rear sight on this rail for use with the funny jacket etc.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Spencer54
Home club or Range: Reeds

#23 Post by Spencer54 »

I like the Nimrod - that looks great.
Spencer54

#24 Post by Spencer54 »

Anyone have any experience of the Tikka Tactical T3 I saw one with a 24" barrel - special order so it said.

This appears to tick a few boxes?

Fox Scopes sound interesting, are these beginner prices or do I aim to drop £700 on a Vortex?
I really want to buy once if you gt my drift.
Swamp Donkey
Home club or Range: Wessex Rifles

#25 Post by Swamp Donkey »

Don't worry about barrel length if only shooting 1000 yards 'for fun', my 14" 308 still gets v bulls reguarly enough to upset a lot of other club members.

Sent from my mobile using "An application"
User702
Home club or Range: BRPC

#26 Post by User702 »

^^^^ Citation needed.

Also, load data for the rounds.
Spencer54

#27 Post by Spencer54 »

Seen plenty of 1000yds shots on the RPR Facebook page.
Also one of the club shooters was scoring well with a Super Sniper Remington in .308

This was with home loads and years of dev apparently.
Laurie

#28 Post by Laurie »

saddler wrote:Parker Hale 1200 TX - usually sell around £120 - £300

More than enough gun for the distance & way more for the money than some of the plastic crowd pleasers.
Ideal to learn on before losing a kidney on the latest polymer wunda-stick
But as usual in these matters, there may just be a reason for these low prices! Much as I liked the old 1200TX in its day, they are first generation TR rifles (a discipline phased in over the 1967/68 seasons) and products of the late 60s through 70s, so the youngest are getting on for 40 years old and likely most have had half a dozen or more increasingly careless owners. You could be lucky and get a 'sleeper' with a good and not too shot out original barrel, or one that someone had splashed out on rebarreling with a quality match barrel and not shot that out before disposing of it .... but the odds aren't good on a blind purchase through a gunshop.

There is a similar risk in buying an old Swing or Paramount if the rifle's history and performance aren't known, but the cost of rebarreling one of these is more easily justified .. in my opinion anyway, for what that's worth. As per Shugie's suggestion, I bought an old one owner Paramount TR rifle in excellent condition (barrel aside) a few years ago for £600 sans its iron match sights. Scoping it took a bit of work - Stuart Anselm of Osprey Rifles and Craig at Evo Leisure (the Tier One people) came up with a 20-MOA taper scope rail, and it was one helluva problem to find screws to mount it. (It nearly came to Stuart drilling out the holes on the receiver and retapping them.)

Although I bought the rifle from Fox Firearms, I know the previous owner, hence some of the rifle's history. The barrel on the piece was a replacement of many years before, a 14-twist 'tight' Lothar Walther put on by HPS-TR and with vast amounts of throat erosion caused by who knows how many thousands of rounds as is so often the case with these older TR jobs. It still shot the NRA RWS ammo well, likewise handloads with the original very throat and jump tolerant 155gn SMK, but with a large drop in MVs over the 2,900 fps plus intended and really needed for consistent 1,000 yard performance, also large MV extreme spreads compared to results from a barrel in serviceable condition.

This is a REALLY nice rifle, still worth investing in, and it has in fact now been rebarreled for a (non-308 Win) project.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#29 Post by mag41uk »

Spencer54 wrote:Anyone have any experience of the Tikka Tactical T3 I saw one with a 24" barrel - special order so it said.

This appears to tick a few boxes?

Fox Scopes sound interesting, are these beginner prices or do I aim to drop £700 on a Vortex?
I really want to buy once if you gt my drift.
You cant go wrong with a Tikka but a 20inch barrel in 308 will be marginal at best.
You probably need to decide if you are going to reload at some point.
If you are then go for a cartridge other than 308.
Look at the 6.5`s such as 260 or 6.5 x 47 or even 6.5 x 55.
I have two 260`s a T3 super varmint with 20inch tube and an AI with a 26inch tube.
The T3 is a tack driver to 600 not been further and the AI easily makes 1000 with accuracy.
I have two of these Vortex scopes:
http://opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/vo ... iflescope/
I have the dead hold bdc reticule. The turrets are capped but are "tactical".
Spencer54

#30 Post by Spencer54 »

Opinions on the CZ557? I know th .22 is highly regarded?