FAC timescales for Thames Valley?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

G_C

FAC timescales for Thames Valley?

#1 Post by G_C »

Hi all,

Currently working through the probationary courses at Bisley having joined the NRA and will be looking to apply for an FAC after successful completion. I've read that processing times can vary from force to force, can anyone give me an idea of timescales for Thames Valley? Am in the Bucks area if that is relevant.

I'd also heard that the FEO do random, unannounced visits. Do they actually do this or just reserve the right for them to do so? Interested in hearing other's experiences in here around this but I hasten to add just from curiosity, not that I have anything to hide! :o
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: FAC timescales for Thames Valley?

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

There is absolutely no way an FEO should arrive unannounced unless he is tagging along with CO/SO19's or whatever they are's finest... FEO's are usually good sorts and well worth establishing a relationship with, my FEO is typical in that he is straight as a die and always keen to make sure everything is spot on and I have heard him described as everything from a legend to a top chap, never a bad word about him.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the FAC, no idea re TV so hopefully it will be processed in a timely manner.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#3 Post by Airbrush »

I think you'll be looking at a minimum of 6 months.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#4 Post by kennyc »

G_C wrote:Hi all,

Currently working through the probationary courses at Bisley having joined the NRA and will be looking to apply for an FAC after successful completion. I've read that processing times can vary from force to force, can anyone give me an idea of timescales for Thames Valley? Am in the Bucks area if that is relevant.

I'd also heard that the FEO do random, unannounced visits. Do they actually do this or just reserve the right for them to do so? Interested in hearing other's experiences in here around this but I hasten to add just from curiosity, not that I have anything to hide! :o
frikken ages! just seen a post where it took a year :o 8 months seems average at the moment :bad: although I suspect it will come to a head soon as they are performing well under par and must be on borrowed time.....
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#6 Post by shugie »

kennyc wrote:

frikken ages! just seen a post where it took a year :o 8 months seems average at the moment :bad: although I suspect it will come to a head soon as they are performing well under par and must be on borrowed time.....
Anthony Stansfield (PCC) had extracted a promise from Chief Constable Habsgood to get another couple of warm bodies for the firearms licensing team, but I don't know if this has happened yet. Might someone not commercially connected with TVP (ie not me) mind emailing the PCC to follow up on this and let us know what he has to say?
Careful now/that sort of thing
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#7 Post by GeeRam »

kennyc wrote:

TVP are in the group of 3 worst performing areas in the UK, so as said, 6 months minimum from posting off application, but likely a lot longer than that I'm afraid.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

I know a guy that's been shooting for decades, impeccable history and is now on 12 months for a simple renewal.
I've held a FAC for thirty years, squeaky clean history, good shooting record, just waited four months for a simple variation.
TVP are one of the slowest - and that's saying something these days as they're up against some stiff competition.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
G_C

#9 Post by G_C »

Ovenpaa wrote:There is absolutely no way an FEO should arrive unannounced unless he is tagging along with CO/SO19's or whatever they are's finest... FEO's are usually good sorts and well worth establishing a relationship with, my FEO is typical in that he is straight as a die and always keen to make sure everything is spot on and I have heard him described as everything from a legend to a top chap, never a bad word about him.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the FAC, no idea re TV so hopefully it will be processed in a timely manner.

Well that's interesting. I wonder if the instructor at Bisley who mentioned this was just trying to wind us up. So there is no truth that they perform random, unannounced inspections? Unannounced would be a good way of ensuring that you are correctly following safety procedures and not leaving things lying around.
G_C

#10 Post by G_C »

Shame I don't live in Wiltshire! I see that the county by county performance talks about renewal timescales. I don't recall where I read it but I thought I read that initial applications (as mine will be) were quicker than renewals. Any truth in that or am I definitely in for a 6 month wait? :bad: