FAC Wording

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

pbrazendale
Home club or Range: MRPC

FAC Wording

#1 Post by pbrazendale »

I have sent my FAC off recently and I was thinking about the wording I have used, I have 'Target shooting at my home club and other approved ranges' as the reasons for each of my firearms listed.

Would this be classed as an 'Open Ticket' as essentially I am asking for permission to use my guns on my home range and any other suitable range.

If so what are the chances of getting this on an initial FAC?

Thanks

Sent from my boing using "An application"
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Re: FAC Wording

#2 Post by safetyfirst »

Hello.

As I understand, an open ticket will allow you to shoot whatever calibres you have for vermin or ground game anywhere you deem safe.

So nothing to do with your target shooting conditions. That wording just means you can shoot at your home range and any other approved range where suitable insurance is on place etc etc.

It varies a lot but my understanding is that open tickets relate to live quarry and are unlikely on first application.

I got an open ticket for 22LR on first renewal from Derbyshire after providing references from landowners. Until I had that I had to stick to land cleared by the police for that calibre.
Fridge
Home club or Range: East Bristol Rifle & Pistol Club

#3 Post by Fridge »

I don't think so.

I shoot fairly regularly at other ranges but it's in my capacity as a member of my home club. An open ticket would permit me to use my firearms for other uses, such as hunting, without prior permission from the police.

Pretty sure that's how it works but I'm sure someone with more experience will know for sure.
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

#4 Post by glevum »

Here is a link to a BASC document describing open tickets. It is in the context of vermin control and not relevant to target shooting

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugins/ ... .php?id=48
Rockhopper

#5 Post by Rockhopper »

My ticket (initial grant) says:

"The firearms and ammunition shall be used for target shooting and only whilst a member of Staveley rifle and pistol club on ranges suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangements in place to meet any injury or damage claim"

It doesn't specify who has to pay for the financial arrangements. I'm in the NSRA which gives me cover but possibly not whilst plinking in a farmers field with a suitable backdrop.
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#6 Post by Duey »

It means you can only shoot at Staveley club range or where they are shooting
Financial arrangement is referring to insurance be it club insurance or personal insurance
Target shooting condition will very rarely allow for shooting over land, only allowed to shoot on official range
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

Duey wrote:It means you can only shoot at Staveley club range or where they are shooting
Financial arrangement is referring to insurance be it club insurance or personal insurance
Target shooting condition will very rarely allow for shooting over land, only allowed to shoot on official range
no it doesn't! It means Staveley is his 'primary' club, so he has to be a member of that club to shoot, if he no longer is a member of that club, the club should notify the police, and so should he, he should then inform them of where he is now a member, and his FAC will be changed accordingly. If he does not join another club, then he cannot target shoot...

It has nothing to do with where the shooting is taking place, that is the part where it defines it must be on a range, and have the finacial cover in place.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#8 Post by IainWR »

Duey wrote:It means you can only shoot at Staveley club range or where they are shooting
What Bradaz said. goodjob
pbrazendale
Home club or Range: MRPC

#9 Post by pbrazendale »

Guys thanks for the responses, essentially I wanted to use my rifles at my home club but also visit other ranges, it sounds like i can do that based on what's been said here and that open tickets refer to land only.

Thanks

Sent from my boing using "An application"
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

#10 Post by glevum »

I have different wording on my FAC

"The Firearms & Ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used for target shooting, and only whilst a member of XXX Club, or as a member of any other Home Office Approved club, on ranges suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangements in place to meet any injury or damage claim"

This would suggest to me that Duey's post about Rockhopper's conditions may be correct.

It would be worth asking a FEO for clarification.