FAC Wording

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: FAC Wording

#11 Post by IainWR »

glevum wrote:I have different wording on my FAC

"The Firearms & Ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used for target shooting, and only whilst a member of XXX Club, or as a member of any other Home Office Approved club, on ranges suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangements in place to meet any injury or damage claim"

This would suggest to me that Duey's post about Rockhopper's conditions may be correct.

It would be worth asking a FEO for clarification.
No, Duey is still wrong. What that condition tries to do (but fails, because it is inconsistent with S44 Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 which requires the club to be named on the certificate) is save you (and the police) the trouble of changing your certificate if you cease to be a member of XXX Club. I would be professionally interested to know which force issued that condition.
Rockhopper

#12 Post by Rockhopper »

The condition on my ticket would appear to comply with the Home Office guidance in the way it is worded. They have missed an "and only" out though!

"The *firearm and ammunition shall be used for target shooting, and only whilst a member of
club, and only on ranges suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm and with adequate
financial arrangements in place to meet any injury or damage claim."

It means I can only use my rifles as long as I am a member of the club but I can target shoot on any suitable range as long as insurance is in place.
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#13 Post by Duey »

My bag I worded my reply poorly
I was trying to highlight that OP could only shoot on official ranges only, and whilst a member of a club and not over land
Grantd
Home club or Range: Wattisham/Vikings/Saxons

#14 Post by Grantd »

The Guide on Firearms licensing Law states

Forces must ensure that where additional conditions are applied to certificates that they are kept to a minimum and are only applied where they are both proportionate and necessary.

my FAC condition states

The Firearms and ammunition shall be used for target shooting, and only whilst a member of
AAAAA shooting club and BBBBB pistol club, on ranges suitable for the safe use of
that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangements in place to meet any injury or
damage claim.

Am I right in thinking that the condition of maintaining membership of both clubs unproportionate and
unnecessary.

I also have permission for a section 1 shotgun, should I not also have the following condition

Automatic Condition for Section 1 Shotguns for Clay Pigeon Shooting (once “good reason” for possession has been demonstrated)
• The *calibre SMOOTH-BORE GUN may also be used for CLAY PIGEON SHOOTING.

Grant
Rockhopper

#15 Post by Rockhopper »

Does your ticket have slots for firearms that can only be used at one or other of your two clubs? So if you have a LBP which club AAAAA doesn’t have facilities for then you must be a member of club BBBB to be able to shoot it and vice-versa.
Grantd

#16 Post by Grantd »

Rockhopper wrote:Does your ticket have slots for firearms that can only be used at one or other of your two clubs? So if you have a LBP which club AAAAA doesn’t have facilities for then you must be a member of club BBBB to be able to shoot it and vice-versa.
I wish, I’m actually a member of three clubs

Club AAAAA is cleared for all calibre and LBP
Club BBBBB is cleared for all pistol calibre AND LBP

Club CCCCC of which I am also a full member is all calibre and shotgun.

I posses/have slots for

.22 LBP
LM Shotgun.
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#17 Post by Hrun »

Then arguably club C is all that needs mentioning on your FAC.

When I applied I was a member of a .22 club and mine states I have to belong to that club. I have since joined a pist calibre club and obtained two .308 rifles I shoot at a military range. The poljce have not updated my requirement and I still only have to belong to the .22 club.. as I dont hunt this makea sense as a way to keep track of me as the club will inform the police if I leave.
Grantd

#18 Post by Grantd »

That was my thought, I’ll give them a ring.
Col
Home club or Range: BASC Sevenside range, stalking etc

#19 Post by Col »

I have an open ticket for all my rifles for which I can use anywhere I deam to be safe,,provided I have the landowners permission I do not need to be a member of any club to own my rifles.My missus does not have an open licence she must be a member of a club/s to be able to own the rifles, But she can use them on any recognised shooting ranges
We are the pilgrims master,We shall go always a little further
Grantd

#20 Post by Grantd »

I’m just confused as to why I have to be a member of two clubs.