45/70 just put .45 down?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pesty
Home club or Range: The Balby Rifle and Revolver Club

45/70 just put .45 down?

#1 Post by Pesty »

I know another silly question, but these things take so long I don't want to cock it up.

Going to do a variation and ask for a 45/70

Do I just put 45 down for Caliber amo and rifle etc
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

Re: 45/70 just put .45 down?

#2 Post by redcat »

Specify .45/70

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#3 Post by WelshShooter »

Personally, I would put down what you would expect to see stamped on the barrel and/or what is on the side of the ammo box. No disagreement then!
Pesty
Home club or Range: The Balby Rifle and Revolver Club

#4 Post by Pesty »

Thanks done.
Whizzbang

#5 Post by Whizzbang »

I asked for a .45 when I had a deposit on a .45Colt

Came back as "45mm"

The ensuing phone call to the Firearms Dept was entertaining; they sorted it out sharpish after I suggested they consult a tape measure with both metric and imperial markings.

Years later, I put in a variation for 45-70 and to avoid ambiguity and ensure it was conditioned for boar, deer etc (AOLQ), I specified "45-70".

In the past I have intentionally left it vague, e.g. "7mm Rifle", as I wasn't sure which chambering I would buy.
David Nimrod
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

#6 Post by David Nimrod »

Whizzbang wrote:I asked for a .45 when I had a deposit on a .45Colt

Came back as "45mm"
Or buy one of those Russian anti tank weapons... lol
Please Wake Up Before Our Humanity Is Lost Forever
Gazoo
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland

#7 Post by Gazoo »

I am always as vague as possible to leave room for little variations, but I cant see why a 45-70 cannot be called "one .45 calibre rifle"!
Alea Jacta Est
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#8 Post by redcat »

I'm not sure that any dealer would sell you a rifle if the ticket just said ".45 calibre". There are too many variations.

Some years ago I sold a guy a .44/40 rifle (correct name .44 Winchester Centre Fire) when his ticket said .44 rifle. I got my knuckles rapped and the guy had to send his ticket back to be altered.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#9 Post by meles meles »

Legally, you put down .45" rifle. The law requires that you declare the calibre, not the chambering. Obey the law, not Guidance, not the whim of a dealer.

This is one case where the law is sensible. For example, requesting a 7.62mm rifle would allow you to choose between 7.62x51 NATO, 7.62x54R and 7.62x39. It was intended this way to keep things simple.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#10 Post by Dark Skies »

I've always just put down the calibre of the bore and not had any issues in the past. For example .30 - had no trouble buying a 30-06 Similarly I had a slot for 7.62 which I filled with a Mosin Nagant. If you already have a 7.62 rifle, say a M44 7.62X54R, you may find it beneficial to qualify the round such as 7.62x39 otherwise you're open to get another rifle in the same calibre.
'So what?' you might rightly think.
In our absurd anti-shooting culture having more than one rifle in the same calibre appears to require some sort of justification to fulfil good reason beyond 'because I really like this calibre and the rifles that use it, plus I already have reloading gear for it.'
This may vary from shire to shire but with TVP I often found, especially with pistols (back in the day), that I'd have to elaborate on why I wanted another firearm chambered in a calibre I already possessed. Load of pointless bo...cks really - what difference could it possibly make?
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."