45/70 just put .45 down?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

Re: 45/70 just put .45 down?

#11 Post by redcat »

So you guys are assuming that if you go into a gun shop with a ticket that says ".45 rifle" that you can buy any rifle in the shop that has '.45' as a calibre? That would include .45/70, .45/90, .45/120, .45 Colt, .45ACP and .45 muzzle loader, and possibly one or two I have missed. Go ask your local dealer.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#12 Post by meles meles »

Not assuming. Acting in accordance with the written word of the law and experience. The word of the law is what matters, not an opinion. Don't impose restrictions upon yourself that were not intended and do not exist in law.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
redcat
Past Supporter

#13 Post by redcat »

Like I said, go ask your dealer.

Redca
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#14 Post by Dark Skies »

redcat wrote:So you guys are assuming that if you go into a gun shop with a ticket that says ".45 rifle" that you can buy any rifle in the shop that has '.45' as a calibre? That would include .45/70, .45/90, .45/120, .45 Colt, .45ACP and .45 muzzle loader, and possibly one or two I have missed. Go ask your local dealer.

Redcat
Absolutely. I had a variation for a slot for .45 and when discussing the matter with the FO over the phone told him I was thinking of getting a .45 long colt chambered under lever. Cert. came back with .45 on it. I may buy one of them fancy SGC lever release jobbies in .45 acp instead. Or maybe an ugly Delisle carbine replica. My call, I think.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
redcat
Past Supporter

#15 Post by redcat »

I'll wait till you've confirmed that your dealer will sell you any .45 rifle I the shop on that variation. It's .45 Colt by the way, not long Colt.

Redcat
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#16 Post by Dark Skies »

redcat wrote:I'll wait till you've confirmed that your dealer will sell you any .45 rifle I the shop on that variation. It's .45 Colt by the way, not long Colt.

Redcat
S'funny, you focus on the unimportant age old is is colt / long colt? debate (it matters not - same round) but aren't clued up on the important issue of applying for calibre slots on a FAC.

I've already confirmed my dealer will sell on the base calibre if that's all that's on the FAC many many times over the decades.

The only truly important issue is when applying for the slot - you have to have somewhere to shoot it - so if applying for a really powerful round it's obvious that your club must have access to a range to accommodate it. Not an issue if a member of the NRA - probably an issue if you just have access to a 25m range for pistol rounds.
Last edited by Dark Skies on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#17 Post by breacher »

redcat wrote:Like I said, go ask your dealer.

Redca
Gunshop Barnet accepts calibre rather than chambering / cartridge.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#18 Post by Duey »

I've just gone through my renewal visit and I've asked for a 6mm and a 7mm and all FLO wanted was good reason which he got so when ticket comes back should just state caliber
Obviously yet to see if I have any issues filling the slots in the future but don't foresee any
Pesty
Home club or Range: The Balby Rifle and Revolver Club

#19 Post by Pesty »

Just seen the rest of the debate.

That was my understand just the Caliber but several people at the range said other. As always I'm finding so much contrary advice with my new hobby.

Too late I fill it out last night sealed it and sent away this morning.

Cheque will get cashed tomorrow and what's the betting 6 months? Or are variations faster.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#20 Post by dromia »

Yes very contradictory, this is due as badger has said mainly to firearms licensing departments making up their own rules. People then in their ignorance comply without challenging it and think this is how the law on the matter is thus the contradictory views arise from experience.

The lack of challenge to this cavalier rule creation by some firearms licensing officers/departments by any official shooting organisation means that the whole firearms licensing system is riddled with operational inconsistencies that have no bearing on the laws they should be working and adhering to.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/