Practical Shotgun...but WHAT Shotgun?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

cowboyfurlan

Re: Practical Shotgun...but WHAT Shotgun?

#11 Post by cowboyfurlan »

BamBam wrote:
Send it wrote:I wouldn't write off the Mossberg 930 JM Pro either. A solid and reliable Gun for a sensible price.
lol

I've seen more of these jam than any other, apart from Hatsans.
The comments I've been hearing about it are that it is more show than bang, with lots of failures. Trouble is, the gun does not come with a Jerry Mickulek to cajole and coax it to work... :D :D Let alone that the fact the list price here in Italy is by one of the highest amongst the semi-autos, losing only to the Iron Armi Competition and the Winchester Raniero Testa (which is not a true PSG SG).

Cheers NB
cowboyfurlan

#12 Post by cowboyfurlan »

BamBam wrote:The Nova and Super Nova aren't the same shotgun.
But they have the same basic shape... ;) :D

Cheers NB
BamBam

#13 Post by BamBam »

Jerry's shotgun is way more tweaked and resprung than the stock JM Pro, he normally uses a 930 Roadblocker with muzzle brake and chute for speedloaders.

And yes, both look the same and both ugly.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#14 Post by saddler »

SimG had a JM Pro, got rid of it to get my tricked up 870.

As for the 870 options, the Russian? blogger type website "870.com" is very basic, but far from ideal.
THE site to go on for 870 goodness is called CombatShotgun.
Run by a bloke that builds 870's as his daily business for the police & sporting users, plus the home defence market.

The model that SimG blagged from me in trade for some imitation crab meat & a long weight, was as follows:
standard 870 Express, then Duracoated in "870 black". Fitted with an 1100 carrier dog spring, the lighter 870 trigger spring, an extended magazine with Scattergun Technologies spring & hi-vis follower.
The only thing it'd benefit from is an XS Big Dot front sight....heat shields & 870's don't mix! Look like a Mossberg!!
Prior to his blagging it the Express had an early Blackhawk recoil stock, and a polymer Police forend.
The current 870 is a Wingmaster: restoration underway as time/money/parts availability allows.
Also got a 20-ga Wingmaster to collect in due course.

The replacement for my main 870?
A 50+ year old Browning Auto 5. Just need an extended magazine tube for it.
May try to make it into a replica of a Police model if I can source parts or dimensions.

Read the Bruce Cranfield book on Military Shotguns - lots of nice 870 ideas within that.
The idea is to make it more functional, not heavier.
Also you will NEED the Jerry Kuhnhausen book on Remington shotguns.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#15 Post by Daryll »

BamBam wrote:Jerry's shotgun is way more tweaked and resprung than the stock JM Pro, he normally uses a 930 Roadblocker with muzzle brake and chute for speedloaders.

Thats no way to talk about Jerry... lol
cowboyfurlan

#16 Post by cowboyfurlan »

saddler wrote:SimG had a JM Pro, got rid of it to get my tricked up 870.

As for the 870 options, the Russian? blogger type website "870.com" is very basic, but far from ideal.
Run by a bloke that builds 870's as his daily business for the police & sporting users, plus the home defence market.

The model that SimG blagged from me in trade for some imitation crab meat & a long weight, was as follows:
standard 870 Express, then Duracoated in "870 black". Fitted with an 1100 carrier dog spring, the lighter 870 trigger spring, an extended magazine with Scattergun Technologies spring & hi-vis follower.
The only thing it'd benefit from is an XS Big Dot front sight....heat shields & 870's don't mix! Look like a Mossberg!!
Prior to his blagging it the Express had an early Blackhawk recoil stock, and a polymer Police forend.
The current 870 is a Wingmaster: restoration underway as time/money/parts availability allows.

May try to make it into a replica of a Police model if I can source parts or dimensions.

Read the Bruce Cranfield book on Military Shotguns - lots of nice 870 ideas within that.
Do you have the CombatShotgun site address? Google has failed on that one.

What length was the barrel on your Express? I assume your mag tube was also from Scattergun Technologies, right? Do you have a picture of your former 870? I'm also collecting build ideas...although the one I'm liking best hinges around that 870 Tactical I put the picture up before. The Blackhawk recoil stock is also in my mind.

I'll go for the books IF I decide to take a 870. Everything is still hung on the IF...the ticket...shotgun...club....

Cheers NB
cowboyfurlan

#17 Post by cowboyfurlan »

Daryll wrote:
BamBam wrote:Jerry's shotgun is way more tweaked and resprung than the stock JM Pro, he normally uses a 930 Roadblocker with muzzle brake and chute for speedloaders.

Thats no way to talk about Jerry... lol
I think he was talking about the Benelli Nova/Supernova rather than about Jerry... :D

Cheers NB
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#18 Post by saddler »

cowboyfurlan wrote:
saddler wrote:SimG had a JM Pro, got rid of it to get my tricked up 870.

Do you have the CombatShotgun site address? Google has failed on that one.

What length was the barrel on your Express? I assume your mag tube was also from Scattergun Technologies, right? Do you have a picture of your former 870? I'm also collecting build ideas...although the one I'm liking best hinges around that 870 Tactical I put the picture up before. The Blackhawk recoil stock is also in my mind.

I'll go for the books IF I decide to take a 870. Everything is still hung on the IF...the ticket...shotgun...club....

Cheers NB
Google, yip....normal for them, far too difficult to locate!
http://www.combat-shotgun.com/

The site is not just 870's, but also 1100's, Mossbergs, etc.
Look on Shotgun World as well plus the American Slug Shooting Association.

May have photos somewhere, will look.
The barrel was standard 26" vent rib, m/c.
Not sure what make extension it had...the internals were of more concern.
The Auto5 will have a Nordic or a DIY type if a Nordic isn't sourced soon.

The 20-ga Wingmaster is on a 12-ga frame so will also need a 12-ga tube, follower, etc. (some 20-ga ARE on a small frame though)
cowboyfurlan

#19 Post by cowboyfurlan »

I also have this 870 here http://immagini.armiusate.it/703611.jpg as a candidate. It's second-hand but the shop claims that it is in perfect condition both mechanically and aesthetically. The downside is that it is in distant Vercelli in misty Piedmont - either a VERY long day out or a weekend away from home. It looks to be 5 shot (4+1), a mag tube extension would be the first order of the day. Comments, please...

Cheers NB
BamBam

#20 Post by BamBam »

There is no distance purchasing in Italy?

No transfer from one shop to another?