Changing gun - how difficult?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

LotusMartin
Home club or Range: Devon

Changing gun - how difficult?

#1 Post by LotusMartin »

I'm looking to purchase a 'basic' 22-250, with the aim of upgrading it when funds allow. Two RFD that I've talked to have both said this is a pain as once you have a rifle on your license, when you sell it you lose that slot and have to apply for a variation? Clearly they benefit from me buying a new or nearly new rifle, but how complicated is it really to either swap (presumably a one-for-one change) or sell then buy and new gun?

I'm in Devon if that makes a difference. helpsign
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: Changing gun - how difficult?

#2 Post by WelshShooter »

When you say "upgrade" what do you mean? Do you mean to buy upgrades for the particular rifle you have bought (e.g. a new scope or stock) or do you mean selling the rifle in exchange for another?

If it is indeed the latter, which I suspect, then it can be a pain to do this on a regular basis. If you have one slot on your license for a .22-250 then you need to sell the rifle, notify the police of the sale and that you wish to keep the same slot. Once you have received your amended FAC back only then can you purchase the new rifle. It's a bit frustrating because you cannot simply pass your rifle over the counter in exchange for an identical calibre rifle.

It also depends on the turnaround time of your issuing force. In the past it has taken me 4 months to receive a one-for-one variation so that's something you need to keep in mind.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Sell gun.

Apply for free one for one variation with the calibre you require.

Turn around time depends on the particular licensing department.

Receive amended FAC.

Buy new, to you, gun.

Not really a pain just the process of having a firearm. Most FAC holders do this on a regular basis so no pain to them either. The gun trade depends on guns being bought and sold, if it was that difficult it wouldn't function.

One for ones are just a paper exercise so long as your good reason holds for the calibre/gun requested.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
LotusMartin
Home club or Range: Devon

#4 Post by LotusMartin »

Yes - I mean buy a .22-250 and then at a later date sell it to replace with another.

I think the RFD were just exaggerating to try and sell me a new one to be honest, but having never been through the process, its useful to ask you guys :)
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

What do you mean by "upgrading".

Why do you anticipate that you will need to sell the one you buy and then buy another?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

I have just gone through a similiar exercise it took 5 days for the certificate to be varied and returned to me.
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#7 Post by poll007 »

It will really depend on what police force your dealing with and how they process it.

For me in kent, the Firearms department is slow to do everything (it took over a month just to print my new address (nothing else had changed, nor do they do any checks now, so all they needed to do was edit the address)
Rockhopper

#8 Post by Rockhopper »

Around 21 days for a one for one same calibre in Derbyshire.
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#9 Post by redcat »

Rockhopper wrote:Around 21 days for a one for one same calibre in Derbyshire.
Around 15 minutes in Durham if you notify them in advance. lollol

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#10 Post by HH1 »

There are several ways of looking at the situation:

1. What is the price difference between what you can currently afford and what you actually want? If it is only a matter of saving for another month or two then, it might be better to get what you really want in the beginning rather than buy twice and loose money when you sell / trade in your first purchase.

2. Depending upon how far into the future you anticipate your "upgrade" will take place and the use you will be putting this rifle to* it might be worth requesting two rifles of the same calibre when you initially apply.

* it is much easier to be granted requested guns / variations if they are being used for target shooting as opposed to hunting / game use.

3. If you do buy a rifle and then after say a year want to upgrade..... and you worry that you might be waiting months for a variation and therefor be without a rifle, you could put in a variation for an extra rifle and have a "slot" to purchase your next gun. That way you can shop around, find what you want and then either part-ex your original rifle into the dealer that has what you want, or sell your original rifle privately. Variation requests for an extra gun will only cost you £20. One-for-one variations are Free... but as already stated you would be without a gun for as long as your certificate is away with the police.