coterminous Shotgun FAC question

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

coterminous Shotgun FAC question

#1 Post by Plumose »

Hi,
I am currently a couple of months in to probation at a rifle club, but I have decided that I would like to get in to sporting clay shooting too.

If I apply for a shotgun certificate now, when I later apply for my FAC can the SGC be brought in to line for coterminous renewals in future, or I am better off waiting another 4 or so months and putting in one application?

Thanks
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
RDC

Re: coterminous Shotgun FAC question

#2 Post by RDC »

One application for both will save you cash.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#3 Post by Plumose »

I realise that, and that is why I would like to be able to bring them in to line in the future, but for now I would like to be able to start the SGC process if possible even though I am unlikely to be able to start the process for the FAC until the end of my probation in about 4 months.

Part of the reason is I have found a localish clay club, but they don't have any loan guns, so I would only be able to shoot at commercial grounds for the rest of the summer/autumn season no matter how quickly Thames Valley are currently processing initial grants. This would also limit it to weekends, while the clay club shots at least one weeknight.

I have a gun safe ready to fit (thanks to a purchase through these forums) so I am already beginning my preparations.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
RDC

#4 Post by RDC »

From my understanding, you need to apply for co-terminus at the same time to get the saving, otherwise it's just like two seperate applications.
X2001xr

#5 Post by X2001xr »

RDC wrote:From my understanding, you need to apply for co-terminus at the same time to get the saving, otherwise it's just like two separate applications.
I managed to get the co-terminus price. But I did first apply for SGC then when they called to arrange the visit I asked if I could change my application to co-terminus.

They said yes and just paid the difference(~£9) in cash to the visiting officer.
RDC

#6 Post by RDC »

X2001xr wrote:
RDC wrote:From my understanding, you need to apply for co-terminus at the same time to get the saving, otherwise it's just like two separate applications.
I managed to get the co-terminus price. But I did first apply for SGC then when they called to arrange the visit I asked if I could change my application to co-terminus.

They said yes and just paid the difference(~£9) in cash to the visiting officer.
That's good news! I've heard from others that they had to pay the full cost of both. Might be a local force thing like pretty much everything else to do with firearm licensing!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#7 Post by GeeRam »

RDC wrote:
X2001xr wrote:

That's good news! I've heard from others that they had to pay the full cost of both. Might be a local force thing like pretty much everything else to do with firearm licensing!
I had my FAC for 5 months when I made an app for a SGC to be co-terminous to my FAC, and I had to pay twice to the Met., so similar time frame but the other way around. As ever, its all force dependent.
You won't know until you try :good:
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

#8 Post by TomH »

Making my SGC co-terminous with my FAC was £2 when I applied for my FAC with Cambridgeshire.