Club choice?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Club choice?

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

The UKPSA is the organisation for IPSC (practical) shooting. FourIslands (F4i) is a UK grown organisation which has a slightly different rulebook for competitions/shooting. To be blunt, the UKPSA hosts competitions up and down the country, F4i only really covers the South, with the occasional match at Rossendale.

Speaking of which, Rossendale is a great club and will get you started on the right track for practical shooting. They have some excellent members which give good quality training. The only downside is the range is at the top of a large hill/small mountain.... So the weather can be a bit special and the track up there requires a car with decent ground clearance (but it doesn't necessarily have to be a 4x4). Lifts are freely available from other members though.
DVC
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#12 Post by Mattnall »

If your one and only club is Home Office approved and affiliated to the NRA then you don't need to go join any other club to get a S1 shotgun.

The NRA offer open competitions in PSG and target shotgun and as an affiliated club member you can enter - suitable location to shoot sorted. You can also enter competitions at other clubs if they allow (most will allow outside shooters to enter) if you are a full member of another club and have your own shotgun.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#13 Post by Geek »

krum2000 wrote:Cheers Les, thanks or that. I'm definitely looking at WDRPC to join. Closest and with great opening times so I can go more regularly.

Thanks Geek, Rossendale does sound really good, cant find too much info about how it works. Do they cater for complete beginners/have club guns or should I go for a few lessons elsewhere, get my SGC and buy a gun and then join? I was reading about Diggle last night and people were saying that while the setup is the best around it seems to be either comps every weekend or hard to get ROs on the ranges.

Cheers38super is Four4islands an organisation rather than an actual physical club?

Blackstuff, we have more than I thought when I first looked, there are at least 5 PSG clubs within 90 mins of me. As well as at least 10 rifle clubs and a multitude of clay grounds. Its pretty good to live in Cheshire. Haha maybe I'm just being spoilt wanting one on my doorstep. Hahaha :D
For target shooting (competitions), then it's hard to beat Diggle, 100yrd - 1000yd range etc. however, for PGG those that shoot at Diggle I would expect are jealous of Rossendale and what they can offer.

Rossendale is very helpful to those of us who are PSG novices, you would have to use a s. 2 shotgun, since as far as I am aware you can not borrow a s. 1 shotgun.

PM me and I will sort out a contract for PSG at Rossendale.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
BamBam

#14 Post by BamBam »

krum2000 wrote: I'm looking to join my local club (Warrington and District), only 30 minutes from me. They cover target and gallery as well as access to MOD ranges so that covers me for pretty much any calibre I may be interested in obtaining as far as I know. Is that correct?
I used to be a member of that club, not anymore, but it's a great club for first getting your FAC.

Rossendale is the best club for PSG in the North West Of England. They don't really cater for complete newbies, no club guns and it's really about mentorship as you use the guns of whoever brought you up. It's about 2 miles up a farm track and nearly all of the regular members drive a 4x4 of some description. We ferry non-4WD owners up the hill regularly.

I suggest this, join WDRPC, get probation out of the way. Join UKPSA, book on a Shotgun Safety Course at Rossendale.

All of the players involved are regular contributors to the farcebook group linked in my signature. UKPSA also has an FB presence.
RDC

#15 Post by RDC »

+1 for Rossendale. I put off going for ages and regret leaving it so long.

I didn't have a shotgun, nor did I have a 4x4 so let both of these get in the way of me going up.

Honestly, I wouldn't say the NRA should be your sole route for PSG as apart from a match at Rossendale, I believe all the rest are down south! I went all the way down to Bisley for the Shotgun Intro day purely because I didn't have a 4x4 to get up to Rossendale, a purely nonsensical concept in hindsight as the membership are happy to give you a lift up and down.
krum2000

#16 Post by krum2000 »

I'm pretty sure WDRPC is NRA affiliated, it comes up on their website list of clubs although the link is actually wrong. Maybe its not? Haha :)

BamBam That sounds like a pretty solid plan, I reckon... Join BASC, apply for SGC, join WDRPC, get some lessons on clays at maybe Holmes Chapel while working through my probation then go for my FAC and while that's happening try some S2 PSG. Finally hopefully get my FAC and then join Rossendale full time.

Cheers Geek, I'm kinda sold on Rossendale, everything I've found out so far says its awesome. Wouldn't mind nipping up one sunday just to have a look around and watch the action and get some tips. If that's alright? I would PM you but I cant use that feature yet apparently. ****

RDC I literally just saw this and went "that's exactly me!" haha right, no putting stuff off then. :good:
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#17 Post by Geek »

krum2000 wrote:I'm pretty sure WDRPC is NRA affiliated, it comes up on their website list of clubs although the link is actually wrong. Maybe its not? Haha :)

BamBam That sounds like a pretty solid plan, I reckon... Join BASC, apply for SGC, join WDRPC, get some lessons on clays at maybe Holmes Chapel while working through my probation then go for my FAC and while that's happening try some S2 PSG. Finally hopefully get my FAC and then join Rossendale full time.

Cheers Geek, I'm kinda sold on Rossendale, everything I've found out so far says its awesome. Wouldn't mind nipping up one sunday just to have a look around and watch the action and get some tips. If that's alright? I would PM you but I cant use that feature yet apparently. ****

RDC I literally just saw this and went "that's exactly me!" haha right, no putting stuff off then. :good:
BamBam is a member of Rossendale PSG. I just don't want to provide someone's contract e-mail or meeting/pick-up points on an open forum, a PM is more appropriate.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
krum2000

#18 Post by krum2000 »

No worries, I need more posts to use private messages. Will have to remember these things and come back to them later. Lol :D
BamBam

#19 Post by BamBam »

At Rossendale there's 2 routes to membership, full member is £120 a year, full use of the 3 rifle ranges and all of the PSG bays, currently 4. PSG member is £60/year and is just the PSG bays, but a £10 fee allows supervised use of the rifle ranges for a day. FAC holders can also pay a £10 visitor fee, accompanied of course.
There is also a waiting list for full membership, but not for the PSG.
krum2000

#20 Post by krum2000 »

Worth it for the PSG then while getting on the full waiting list. :)