RPA vs PH sights ?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Starfishprime
Home club or Range: Tess Valley Target Sports

RPA vs PH sights ?

#1 Post by Starfishprime »

Hi
I am new to FB shooting but reasonably experienced at .22 precision. I recently bought a very nice Parker Hale 1200TX (.308) fitted with PH 5B sights for fullbore TR.

The p.h.. rearsight has a compact iris disc ( 5 or 6 fixed holes). I have tried fitting a Gehmann adjustable iris but it gets in the way of the bolt handle. On top of that I happen to have a nice 22mm adjustable foresight to replace the 18mm however this would throw out the PH precalibrated rearsight which has approx distances marked on it 300, 600yrd etc.

I could remove the ph rearsight and fit an RPA. Is there any merit, in your opinions to fitting RPA or similar rearsight?

Should I go the whole hog and fit ladder foresight or would I be then heading down a similar route to 'spoilers and Go Faster stripes on a Lada'

Thanks

ian
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

Re: RPA vs PH sights ?

#2 Post by johngarnett »

Ian
May I suggest you just shoot it as it is for a while. It is a good rifle but if you really get into fullbore TR you may find you want to get an upgrade and then spend your hard earned cash.
The sights will work just fine. You must get a known distance zero, ie 100 or 300 yds and then the elevation settings will be similar each shoot. The graduations for 3 and 6 are probably only a rough guide. Personally, I would suggest a 100yd session to get on the target from a rested bench position. Then try off the elbows. Then talk to others, look up on an app or post again here for the sight come-ups for 3, 5, 6, 9, 1k.
Just enjoy yourself!!
JohnG
rox

#3 Post by rox »

Starfishprime wrote:The p.h.. rearsight has a compact iris disc ( 5 or 6 fixed holes). I have tried fitting a Gehmann adjustable iris but it gets in the way of the bolt handle. On top of that I happen to have a nice 22mm adjustable foresight to replace the 18mm however this would throw out the PH precalibrated rearsight which has approx distances marked on it 300, 600yrd etc.
Assuming you also have verniers graduated in minutes I would ignore the distance markings completely - they are a coarse guide at best and unlikely to exactly match the elevations you require, particularly if you use modern target ammo or handloads.

If you fit your 22mm foresight you may find the sight-line is elevated to the point you could use the Gehmann iris without interference (and if you insist on using the distance graduations you can still adjust the zero plate).
Starfishprime wrote:I could remove the ph rearsight and fit an RPA. Is there any merit, in your opinions to fitting RPA or similar rearsight?
Should I go the whole hog and fit ladder foresight or would I be then heading down a similar route to 'spoilers and Go Faster stripes on a Lada'
I would save the money that might be spent on more expensive sight upgrades towards other equipment or a future rifle upgrade.

hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#4 Post by hitchphil »

Agree with others,

It will shoot fine with the sights as is. To fit a ghemann use a tube to give the space for the bolt & the distance marks are closer to 147 grain vs TR 155 grain rounds and are only valid with original rear & foresight & the original sight base.

there are better rifles to put adjustable foresights & tracker rearsights on.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Starfishprime
Home club or Range: Tess Valley Target Sports

#5 Post by Starfishprime »

Thanks for all your sage advice here. I'll still with the existing sights until I get good enough to justify a rifle upgrade

Cheers

Ian