Proper grip

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Rambles35
Home club or Range: NRA

Proper grip

#1 Post by Rambles35 »

I tried out some target rifle shooting the other day.
Used a borrowed jacket (that didn't fit...could only do the top 2 buttons up and it was really a small bore jacket) and borrowed rifle.
I had a problem in that I couldn't easily get the rifle into a comfortable target on position.
Holding it naturally had the barrel angelled down about 10 degrees.
Any one got thoughts about proper rifle grip?
I suspect the butt on the borrowed rifle was far too long for me. Into my shoulder, the distance from my eyes to the rear sights was about 6 inches.
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

Re: Proper grip

#2 Post by Kungfugerbil »

You may be right about the butt - I seem to recall a rule of thumb was if the end of the butt is placed in the crook of your elbow, the hand should fall approximately to the grip.

That aside, a ten degree downward tilt could possibly have been brought back by shuffling - this controls the elevation. When both elbows are fixed in place rocking backward and forward with your toes nudges your POA up and down respectively.

Moving the handstop back would also have brought the muzzle up, everything else being equal. Remembering to shorten the sling to maintain correct tension :)
Rockhopper

Re: Proper grip

#3 Post by Rockhopper »

You are really on a hiding to nothing with borrowing jackets, slings, rifles etc. There are so many things to adjust and fiddle with! I'd advise you to get your own jacket and sling then keep a note book with the various adjustments you need to make to the rifle as chances are someone else will use it before you next shoot so it'll all be wrong again.