Public ranges?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Public ranges?

#11 Post by 1066 »

Hastings has a "public" range... 1066 Target Sports.

https://1066ts.co.uk/

It has a 25 yard .22rf range and rifles to hire. You can also just book a lane for an hour if you have your own rifle.

I have been a few times with my grandson - bit of axe throwing, knife throwing, crossbow shooting great fun.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alberto
Home club or Range: VPRC

#12 Post by Alberto »

Hi Hrun. I can see why you wouldn't want the hassle as a club range officer outside of recruiting drives. I was more thinking of a commercial range that did supervised sessions for beginners or allowed FAC holders to book a lane for an hour.

I guess there isn't enough profit to warrant the grief. That seems a pity. My dad shot at school and with the scouts. Hiding away can't be good for the sport long term. I had no idea anything outside of clays and target rifles were still legal until last year.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#13 Post by kennyc »

kennyc wrote:The club I belong to has most of its monthly meetings at Bisley as guest days, the exceptions being the McQueens comps due to the need of getting people through the stages and the comps being popular with members
sorry couldn't edit the original, as a club we are open to new members and guests (in line with the requirements ie guests known to members for at least 2 years) probationary membership is not expensive and is a good way to try out fullbore shooting. I believe we do our part and it would be nice if other clubs did too.

Hunters NRPC
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#14 Post by GeeRam »

hitchphil wrote:
GeeRam wrote:Not since the days of the twice a year, Bisley Open Day some 4/5 years back.

Not sure why they stopped them?
Because the same people came every year for their once a year shooting fix. The coaches were paid as were RCOs & the Assoc made negligible income from it, the number of new members generated was small. It wasn't delivering its mission.
As I suspected, which is fair enough I suppose.

Without going to one of those open days, I doubt I would have got back into the sport I'd been away from for nearly 30 years.
hitchphil wrote: The only benefit was making friends in some of the public that came. Some think we should do it for that reason only - I say that is worth it & to generate a profit too.
Can't disagree with that at all.
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#15 Post by Thorney »

When we open in September we will be offering such a service.
Alberto

#16 Post by Alberto »

Where is that Thorney?

"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
kevinww

#17 Post by kevinww »

Alberto wrote:Where is that Thorney?
Silverstone Shooting Centre, opens in a months time.
Alberto

#18 Post by Alberto »

Wow! Looks like quite a site. Sadly not on my doorstep but a lot closer than Dorset. Good luck, I hope it's a big success.