Public ranges?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Alberto
Home club or Range: VPRC

Public ranges?

#1 Post by Alberto »

Hi all,

Are there public ranges where you can book to shoot without being a member? If so, do you need a FAC? Do they hire out rifles? Do they cater for juniors? The Tunnel seems to do experiences that cover this at a reasonable price but I live in Essex, so Dorset isn't exactly local.

http://www.thetunnel.co.uk/shooting-experiences

Does anyone know of anywhere further east where you can get this kind of introduction day or even just pay to shoot by the hour? Weekends preferably.

Thanks.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Public ranges?

#2 Post by GeeRam »

Not since the days of the twice a year, Bisley Open Day some 4/5 years back.

Not sure why they stopped them?
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#3 Post by hitchphil »

GeeRam wrote:Not since the days of the twice a year, Bisley Open Day some 4/5 years back.

Not sure why they stopped them?
Because the same people came every year for their once a year shooting fix. The coaches were paid as were RCOs & the Assoc made negligible income from it, the number of new members generated was small. It wasn't delivering its mission. The only benefit was making friends in some of the public that came. Some think we should do it for that reason only - I say that is worth it & to generate a profit too. If the fairground can charge £3 for 4 pellets we can charge £6 for 5x7.62 at 1000yds!

Alberto - look up on NRA & NSRA club links or finder & ask some if they might hold a guest day. Clubs are allowed to hold 12 pa! one per month but am afraid none ever do that! & a very very few do even one or two. Until they do the sport is in jeopardy.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#4 Post by Dark Skies »

You could always open up your own miniature rifle gallery I suppose.

http://www.guntradenews.com/comment/leg ... d-the-law/

Failing that try contacting the NSRA and see if they know of any said miniature ranges near you.
Last edited by Dark Skies on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#5 Post by kennyc »

The club I belong to had most of its monthly meetings at Bisley as guest days, the exceptions being the McWueens comps due to the need of getting people through the stages and the comps being popular with members
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#6 Post by Dark Skies »

kennyc wrote:The club I belong to had most of its monthly meetings at Bisley as guest days, the exceptions being the McWueens comps due to the need of getting people through the stages and the comps being popular with members
The NRA are having a kind of guest day lite in August. One of those NRA members bring a mate intro to the sport deals. Not cheap at £35 notes though.

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/Calend ... RA&id=4155
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Alberto

#7 Post by Alberto »

Thanks for the replies. It's not easy to get into this sport is it? Maybe starting a range isn't such a bad idea. Anyone got any idea what it would cost? A few 22 rifles and the ammo would be cheap enough. Does anyone know what other equipment and insurance would be? I wonder if you need a qualified range officer to get the insurance.

"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#8 Post by Hrun »

As a club we have taken to using air only at open days. That way we do not have to go through the hassle of notifying the police in advance of attendees.

I wouldn't actually want to be able to open the range adhoc to people who want to shoot occasionally, as this would not be fair to members who have undertaken 6 months probation which includes extensive range safety.

It is a hobby that has potential to do harm, and I am happy it is a sport which you need dedication to get into. Makes us all safer.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#9 Post by Mattnall »

Alberto,
We run 'experience days' on the Herts/Essex border for those looking to get into the sport or those that want to try it out. It's not really aimed at shooters but rather at those who are curious and want to try out target shooting.
If it's something you think I can help you with drop me a PM.

Hrun, the miniature rifle exemption (S11(4)) allows the use of miniature rifles (including air rifles and 22RF) without informing the police or any licensing. There are a few caveats but the NSRA (formally the Society of Miniature Rifle Clubs) covers this and might even cover insurance if they are informed beforehand.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Alberto

#10 Post by Alberto »

Thanks Mattnall pm sent