Cabinet Positioning Under Stairs

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Robbo

Cabinet Positioning Under Stairs

#1 Post by Robbo »

Hi,

I have a Brattonsound 7 gun deep cabinet, and a GK ammo safe. I think that the best location of the safes is the understairs cupboard. Facing the cupboard, the stairs run from bottom right to top left, door opens to the left.

The back and left walls are plasterboard dobbed and dabbed onto breeze block. Originally I decided to mount the cabinets as far to the right as possible, leaving more usable space directly opposite the door for shoes etc....and meaning the cabinets were not in direct view.

I've just read the fitting instructions for the cabinet (right hand hinged door) and they say fit it into the corner, which in my case would be left hand corner.This would mean that the cabinets would immediately be in direct every time the cupboard door is opened.

So before I bolt them into to the wall, do I position them

1) Left hand corner
OR
2) As far to the right as possible meaning they pretty much out of sight unless you go peering in.....

What do you think the FEO would prefer (I'm in Cambs...)

thanks in advance...

Darren
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

Re: Cabinet Positioning Under Stairs

#2 Post by hitchphil »

darrena.roberts wrote:Hi,

I have a Brattonsound 7 gun deep cabinet, and a GK ammo safe. I think that the best location of the safes is the understairs cupboard. Facing the cupboard, the stairs run from bottom right to top left, door opens to the left.

The back and left walls are plasterboard dobbed and dabbed onto breeze block. Originally I decided to mount the cabinets as far to the right as possible, leaving more usable space directly opposite the door for shoes etc....and meaning the cabinets were not in direct view.

I've just read the fitting instructions for the cabinet (right hand hinged door) and they say fit it into the corner, which in my case would be left hand corner.This would mean that the cabinets would immediately be in direct every time the cupboard door is opened.

So before I bolt them into to the wall, do I position them

1) Left hand corner
OR
2) As far to the right as possible meaning they pretty much out of sight unless you go peering in.....

What do you think the FEO would prefer (I'm in Cambs...)

thanks in advance...

Darren
He might prefer to not read details about your proposed security & safe position on an open & public forum?
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Gazza

#3 Post by Gazza »

PM'd you :good:
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

What else is kept in the cupboard? Would there be any reason why anyone who is not known to you to want/need to access the cupboard e.g. are their any gas/water meters in there?

I'm still waiting on my FLD to get back to me about a 2nd cabinet location, including possibly under the stairs. Think i'll give them a ring again later
DVC
Christel
Site Admin

#5 Post by Christel »

No details posted apart the OP is asking for advice.
Robbo

#6 Post by Robbo »

Gazza wrote:PM'd you :good:
thanks Gazza - thanks for the advice.....
Robbo

#7 Post by Robbo »

Blackstuff wrote:What else is kept in the cupboard? Would there be any reason why anyone who is not known to you to want/need to access the cupboard e.g. are their any gas/water meters in there?

I'm still waiting on my FLD to get back to me about a 2nd cabinet location, including possibly under the stairs. Think i'll give them a ring again later
No meters or anything like that. Just used for shoes mainly, but they cannot be relocated elsewhere.
Robbo

#8 Post by Robbo »

christel wrote:No details posted apart the OP is asking for advice.

Yep I tried to be as vague as possible but without providing less information it would have been difficult to ask for advice. I'd like to get the cabinets in the most correct position possible and not wanting to hold up the FAC application further (currently 24-26 weeks in Cambs).
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#9 Post by Triffid »

Personally I would fit it into the corner, but I don't think your FEO would insist on it either way, so take your pick.

The manufacturers idea of fitting it into a corner reduces the leverage options for someone trying to pry it off the wall. And it allows you to fit extra fixings into the second wall to be sure, to be sure. But the main reason I'd go for the corner fitting in the situation you describe is for ease of access . . . if you have the cabinet round the corner of the door, it makes it hard to guns in & out, which is important. I'd also think about fitting the cabinet upside down, so the hinge side is against the wall.

Also having the cabinet directly in front or the door or round the corner is irrelevant from a burglary point of view IMO. If they open the cupboard door, they'll find the cabinet whichever location you pick. In a similarish situation, I've built-in shelves hard-up against the other side of the cabinet, effectively boxing it in and reducing access. You can easily park the hoover/mop/broom in front of the cabinet to hide it from casual view.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... dbook-2005

Triffid
Rockhopper

#10 Post by Rockhopper »

Also no issues with fitting it in a meter cupboard or similar as its being in casual view thats the issue, ie someone looking though the window or a caller at the front door being able to see it.